Constellation effect

Hi everyone ! :sparkles:

I’m currently working on a LoL Fan VFX and I’m trying to reproduce this behavior from the constellation trail on Vladimir’s E ability :

The stars seems to appear first and THEN get connected together with a line, forming the constellation in a nice, almost “stopmotion” manner :

aide vlad

I’m really scratching my head with this one. I’m guessing it’s done with a ribbon emitter but whatever I do I can’t get to reproduce that behavior (or even connecting several points together in a chain like that actually) :sweat_smile:

Does anyone have any leads ? :smile:

3 Likes

Overall this technique of points connecting to each other is called plexus and is quite advanced: [Niagara 5.1] Plexus Mini Tutorial

but what they do in LoL is just a very simple version. If you are using Unreal, you can have 1 emitters with 2 renderers: ribbon + sprite and then it will be leaving those dots where ribbon is curving.

2 Likes

I see ! I might have to postpone it until I learn more about scratchpad modules then, it’s one of the things I still haven’t looked into at all. Since I’m working on a Cosmic Lillia skin atm I wanted to see if I could use this on her weapon during her Q ability spin but I’ll find something else for now :laughing: Thank you ! :smile:

I might try to prototype the easy version for you later

1 Like

That would be wonderful ! I hope it’s okay, I don’t want to take up too much of your time :sweat_smile:

• You set curve tension to 1 to get those straight lines
  • If you want to have separate color for the ribbon and sprites, then just setparameter color or whatever else you want to bind:

And bind it in renderer settings
2 Likes

Thank you so much ! I’ll make sure to try that ! :smile:

1 Like

Works like a charm, thank you again :smile:

aide vlad

7 Likes

Really nice result <3

1 Like