Weekly progress from a begginer

Hello,
glad to meet everyone. I am studying real time VFX in Unreal right now.
My goal is to get into the video game industry.
Time constraint 6 months from now.
In that time: learn basic concepts, make my demo reel, show my progress and network.

The reason I am learning VFX it’s because it seems to be more in demand.

I tried Environment concept art but I ended up burning out. VFX seems to give me a fresh start and continue with other artistic abilities that I put aside. Also, I’m trying to avoid some mistakes such as not showing my progress, network or searching for a community. Having actual professionals reading my questions and taking the time to answer is a game changer for me.

That being said, I officially started on May 7th but I was finishing other projects.

I did the “Unreal Engine - VFX for Games - Beginner to Intermediate” by Gabriel Agilar

And I am currently in " Complete VFX Niagara in Unreal Engine 5" by Raffi Bedross
At the same watching the series of Ben Cloward called “UE4 Material Editor - Shader Creation” (Until vid 6)

I’ve checked a nice amount of junior portfolios in order to have a visual idea of what level I should achieve in order to get a job.

For this month my goal is to see what it’s possible to do. Like learning how the ingredients’ flavor interacts with each other and making some smaller decisions.

My way of learning is to have first contact. In other words, see as much as I can and then it’s when I start brushing off again. I believe that making small projects and finishing them off would help me a lot to recall what I learned until it’s in the back of my mind.

So far I’m just copying and adding some extra things as I said

Seems that materials are a very powerful tool. It feels more useful to learn about that instead of going back and forth on 3D software.

For this week I’ve checked in total:

“UE4 Material Editor - Shader Creation” Vids: 3 to 5

“Complete VFX Niagara in Unreal Engine 5” Section 1 to 8

Personal view:

• List item

Materials seem less difficult since watching “What Are Data Types? UE4 Materials 101 - Episode 3”
I understand Niagara’s structure. I can jump easily from one node to another without getting lost.

I tried to make an area of attack effect from scratch almost by memory but I ended up wasting 2 hours. What I learned is that for now it’s better to make small changes from existing effects and try to check the resources more. It’s better to do even smaller effects and try to learn enough for next month.

I want to try to be consistent with this post and make updates every week.

This post helped me a lot. Here is the advice to set a goal and a junior VFX porfolio.
I've been learning Real-Time VFX for a 45 days, and here’s what I’ve realized

1 Like

Second week posting

So far this week progress in terms of the online course (Complete VFX Niagara in Unreal Engine 5”): from section 9 to 18 (atom, shield, nuke explosion, regular slash, fire slash and ice attack)

I’m recording what I’ve done so far so now I have some gifs to show. I hadn’t time to make small changes in order to avoid making them too similar to the course.

Not much to say really. I’m happy with the course so far. The more I work on this field the more I realize that materials are very important and I’ll take time in the future to learn it as much as I can.
Posted this gif here I might add the other effects done this week
Fre_Slash02

1 Like