Sketch #10: Bruno Afonseca

Hello there!
I decided to join this one too. Here’s what I got so far:

FX_Campfire_01_320

I’m using Unreal’s Vector Noise node on a highly tesselated cylinder (6k verts) to create this flame-like motion. I also have a sphere with a material that makes the firewood glow from the center (I’m using custom depth to mask the effect).
I intended this as a prototype for a more realistic effect but I’m quite liking it so far!

16 Likes

I like the use of using geo as opposed to sprites. Perhaps to add a little more variation, anyway to ad a secondary vector noise?

1 Like

When you finish this it would be very interesting to see a video with the wireframe on.

1 Like

Of course! I’ll do a breakdown once I’m done :slight_smile:

Haven’t made more progress yet, but I did go out with friends for a spring equinox fire and gathered a lot of reference!

1 Like

Actually those pictures have really fast shutter speeds, I figured it wouldn’t look right if I didn’t apply some motion blur to the textures. Found a few ones shot at 1/60:

1 Like

Sooo I thought I might as well start building a wispy noise generator because why not?

If this works out I’ll probably release it!

5 Likes

This might be worth reposting this on the substance post maybe ?
I’m convinced Substance is brilliant for VFX but it looks like some people still need to be shown the light to join us on our devoted journey.

1 Like

Worked in it for a few more minutes, still a lot to go though:

FX_Campfire_01_320

9 Likes