Niagara / unreal GDC

Texture Sample

Hello Ken
I came here from YT, where I found your original video, many thanks for it.
I use UE for cinematics, not gameplay… I tried to use your setup in Sequencer, going from a skeletal mesh to a static mesh… It works in theory, but the animation is not taken into account, so I go from T-Pose to static…

Is there a way to connect them in Sequencer?

thanks in advance

Hello,

Extremely new to Niagara, I have been trying to make a mesh emitter with Fibonacci sphere location modules that points inwards but seem to have no luck achieving this with putting the mathematics into node graphs similarly to how you have attempted. What specific unity function did you look at? Also how did you learn to translate other programming languages into HLSL? Your effects are very impressive by the way! Im guessing this is mostly custom HLSL too?

I usually leave a credit URL in a comment.

How did I learn to translate? Know a lot of languages I guess. I don’t use HLSL that often, for reasons listed at the bottom of this page.

The effect is handled mostly in Niagara, I’m simply activating it in sequencer.

The main module you want to play with is this:

You can take my manual curves and expose them to sequencer to time the FX as needed.

Hey thanks…
I think I may be in over my head here…
When I add the Update Mesh reproduction Sprite as shown my sim vanishes…
Also your animation’s coming from the 3rd person blueprint right? I’m using the animation track.
Also I don’t see how to expose those curves in sequencer… :-/

So the trick is to convert your skel mesh to a blueprint (if it is not there already) and make a variable that is exposed to cinematics. Then you can alter this value using sequencer and affect the Niagara system using a Niagara Parameter Collection.

“Test Var” is a variable I made in the skeletal mesh blueprint which is exposed to cinematics. I’m altering that variable in sequencer. I’m then setting “TestFloat” in the Niagara Parameter Collection to a value I set in sequencer and print out the value. This is all you would really need to set in sequencer to drive this FX.

I’ll try and explain this better tomorrow, it’s getting late and I must sleep (3AM here in Florida).

1 Like

I tried to use event handler to get unusual trajectories) So far, not very successfully, but perhaps based on a similar approach, someone will get something

Ran into a problem when transitioning from Cascade to Niagara, I use the “OnParticleCollide” node in my blueprints to trigger events when particles collide, however I was unable to find anything similar for Niagara.
Does anyone know of a way to do this in Niagara?

This is not supported yet.

Thanks a ton for the timely response, I thought that might be the case but figured I better ask.
Do you have an ETA for when that feature may be added?

About creation Thunderbolt with Niagara

About use superformula
https://youtu.be/5psCaF-eq0U

About use skeletal mesh as a source of particles

About communication between skeletal meshes

About create track of skeletal mesh bone
https://youtu.be/NY5bHQz6FX4

About create simple burst of skeletal mesh
Subscribe to my channel in youtube)

I am so having fun with the morph thingy thanks to your tutorial!
2018-11-29_15-19-20

Unreal Engine 4 Niagara
Tutorial Part #1
Mandelbulb
https://youtu.be/P2fCe6Cpo6s