Alex Fedorov Sketchbook

Hi! So here will be my vfx sketchbook.
Latest work:
procedural candle and flame
Screenshot 2020-11-10 011542

To start with this is some trails study I made recently.
Made and rendered in Unreal Engine with Niagara. Textures were created in Substance Designer.

68 Likes

Superb colors, shapes, and motion. Would love to see them targeting something :slight_smile:

Thank you very much =)

hi, AlexFedorov may I know how u achieve this ?

if you want, feel free to share your substance textures. would be interesting to see them (maybe even with the network)? :slight_smile: good work!

Thank you!
I made some breakdowns here:

56 Likes

These substance breakdowns are great! I’ve actually been looking into FX-Maps recently, and I’ve been trying to figure out how to drive a parameter with the input map. I’ve looked all over but the best I could find was to use a $pos float 2 and feed it into a grayscale sampler with image input set to 0, but it didn’t seem to do anything for me. Do you mind if I ask you how you did it?

Great stuff, Thanks for the breakdown @AlexFedorov

Great inspirational content here! Thanks @AlexFedorov!

@druvius Sure! I prepared some breakdowns for you =)

@pamar @jqarlsson thank you very much!

20 Likes

Thanks for the breakdowns! This make it so much clearer

Pretty. I study to use FXmap. Thanks a lot!

Very very cool :heart_eyes:

Sorry I’m a bit late to the party, but thank you for these really cool examples.

So I’m trying out substance designer and wanted to see if I could recreate it and got to this point:

The fx-map seems to behave almost correct. Checked the fx-map ‘code’ multiple times and pretty sure it’s identical to your example. I suspect the output of curve is not correct (tried routing directly to output to see what goes out) but can’t quite seem to figure out where it goes wrong… Does anyone have any hints on what I could be doing wrong?

Hi! I guess there could be some changes in FX-map logic since this post but I may be wrong. Currently it looks like shifted sample positions and sizes and maybe not normalized values in curve. I would suggest to play with position offset for X and Y in FX-map and look what will change. Also check if gradient values are normalized. Hope it will help! =)

Mate, your swarm on your art station is wicked. Is that Niagara?

Thank you very much! Yes, the effect was done with Niagara.

1 Like

Nice… tutorial? :wink:

Yea, if you are interested, I will try to find some time to prepare a breakdown. =)

1 Like

amazing look and great breakdown … these are good references for beginners… also what are the differences between Niagara and Cascade?