Substance Designer for VFX?

Oh :smiley: Wellā€¦I didnā€™t say anything :smiley:

1 Like

OH wow, I already see several uses to that !

3 Likes

Just found these pattern made by @NikolaD and thought they fit in here perfectly well :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thanks for the share @simonschreibt, looks like these patters are interesting to people, I had more then 800 downloads.

So, Iā€™ll try to find time and do some more :wink:

4 Likes

@AlexFedorov posted in his channel nice substance networks :slight_smile:

8 Likes

A friend of mine has used substance to approach some VFX stuff check it out here.

https://www.artstation.com/mattywyettsimmonds/albums/915601

3 Likes

Thanks for the share! ^^ I used Substance Designer for most of the VFX in my portfolio and it was great fun. I made a way of animating my substance and automating a spritesheet all in designer. Awesome tool for VFX! :smiley:

Awesome! The networks look huge :smiley: I wonder if thereā€™s a way to automate substanceā€¦like having a for-loop and iterating over the same nodes again and again changing some parameters a bit to avoid having the same little network with slight modifications 100x in the file?

There was a way to animate using time within substance player but it was of no help to me making flipbooks, designer couldnt be animated in the same manner so I made do with shifting paremeters like transform and noise disorder. The good thing about it is that both of those things loop :smiley:

Looks realy great. Can you please tell what is your settings for Splater Circular? I spent a whole day and couldnā€™t replicate this pattern.

Iā€™m not able to open substance right now but in here you should find my fire + settings:

2 Likes

I use Substance Designer to create textures 90% of the time!
https://www.artstation.com/boorch

Lately Iā€™ve been trying Filter Forge as well but when it comes to a node-based tool, ease of use and UX (how easy/fast/practical youā€™re able to connect nodes and build complicated schematics) is king for me. So I guess SD will be my go-to tool for procedural texture creation.

2 Likes

What is Bruno tools? I tried googling this and did not find it. Maybe I havenā€™t read enough of this threadā€¦

Itā€™s his stuff on Gumroad I exspect. (He links to it in the 5th post of this topic) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry. I started very far down in this thread. I appreciate your response.

Iā€™m a big Filter Forge Fanā€¦But I can see how Substance Designer has surpassed it. I think I like the FF interface a bit betterā€¦but maybe because it isnā€™t so clouded with all those features! :smiley:

https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries?by_user_id=18

here aswell but I suppose the gumroad is more up to date ? @Bruno

Hereā€™s my gumroad: Bruno Afonseca
Usually itā€™s more up to date because it takes Allegorithmic some time to approve content, but right now theyā€™re the same. An update to those tools is long overdue though :stuck_out_tongue:

I missed Zoom Blur from Photoshop in Substance Designer, so I made one. Hope it will come in handy!

3 Likes

thx man! i missed that too!

1 Like