Visual Effect Graph - Next Generation VFX Toolchain for Unity

Yeah, If you don’t get HDRP then you basically see shit :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your feedback, we are indeed in a preview phase so all the UX and UI is not final at the moment, we try to improve it as much as we can to smoothen the experience so any feedback is appreciated.

For the node selection window, we advise to try to discover more by using the search field as it contains a lot of variants for all you need. For instance typing “Scale col” shall bring you both Scale Color, Scale Color from gradient (over life) and Scale Color from Map. Still, this menu is meant to be improved :slight_smile:

1 Like

Edit: I have added an example project with setup batch files to automate the installation of the GitHub version. You can find it here : GitHub - peeweek/VisualEffectGraph-EasySetup: Unity project with automated setup and update for using the VisualEffectGraph from the GitHub repository

Also I have quickly included some really simple effects in it. These are in the SampleScene.unity scene

2 Likes

Congrats on the release guys ! at last ! :slight_smile:
The spaceship demo kicks serious ass !
I also really like those butterflies & misc effects in the other videos :wink:

Regarding that feedback from @michalpiatek :

• it would be nice to have an option to drag a node with all its input nodes connected to that node. Right now I have to move over my spaghetti by first selecting all connected nodes manually.

Big +1 on that one. It’s something we had in the very old PopcornFX v0.1 nodegraph, and it proved SUPER useful.

If I can suggest something: not just an option to move the nodes, but actually select them.
This way you can move them, but also copy/cut/delete them. very useful.

From what I remember it was done with a Shift+Click, so you could also Ctrl+Shift+Click to append other unrelated sub-branches to your selection. But maybe that’s not so important in the context of Unity’s VFX graph.

Hi, I would like to know how to create vector fields in Unity. There are no tutorials on the Internet at all. Can you make at least a small feedback how you created a vector field for the Unity logo?

2 Likes

There’s a simple setup in Houdini that could be made (still need to test it) posted here by Partikel

• that’s for Unreal engine though, with free vector field files to play with (can’t convert them to Unity .vf format)

I’m still uncertain if there’s an exporter from Houdini to Unity though.
like it must be a special ROP node to export to .vf files

// also there are tools like megaflow or vectoraygen/jangaFX but you have to pay for them
I’d rather use houdini indie for that.

hi guys, I think it is use a volume texture to create the vector fields, And I found this tools to make volume texture. but I don’t know how to use it… I had try a lot of times, but also fail to create a useable volume texture…
if someone want to try, click here! GitHub - mattatz/unity-volume-rendering: Volume rendering by object space raymarching for Unity
and if you make it work to create the useable volume texture to control the vector fields, please tell me how it work!:smiley:

That’s what I need, thanks!

It’s pretty much what you described (it’s a SOP actually), we’re pretty close to ship these exporters (final steps of wrapping up so it’s easier to install and use).

Just a matter of days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s cool, thanks!

Is it gonna be available with the next houdini’s gamedev tools update, correct?
Don’t want to miss it =)

I made a thing in visual effects graph. Love visual effects graph already, can’t wait to use it in production!

1 Like

Hello guys. I’ve been testing the vfx graph for an hour and I haven’t found the way to emmit from a mesh, do you know if it’s possible? I’ve also been testing Project on Depth(position) using a depth render textures and the result haven’t been what I expected. Vfx graph looks awesome anyway, I need to play more with it.

Thanks a lot for the setup, i couldn’t install it because of shader errors. Only one thing.There whas a mistake in the code downloaded from github. In the script VFXViewPreference.cs it appears SettingsScoppe instead of SettingsScoppes.

I want to mention that for anyone looking to turn FGA (vector fields) into 3D textures, our vector field plugin for unity now supports converting FGA files into 3D textures for use in the Visual Effects Graph:

2 Likes

Effect with logo in Unity(VFX Graph). There is no lag in Unity - this is because of the video conversion into a gif file.
https://giphy.com/gifs/fny7clIgswTazSz0jo/html5

3 Likes

Quick news! We just released our exporters for Houdini 17 (alongside the Image Sequencer)
With these you can export:

• Volumes (Scalar, SDF and Vector) as .vf files (used for vectorfields/sdf)
  • Point data as Point caches

These exporters are simple SOP nodes (just like the File SOP)

You can get everything here:

To install the DCC Tools, just import the .hda into houdini.

7 Likes

Hello,i want to use playmaker to visit the value of visual effects graph. (visual script tool in unity3d).
i create the exposed value of visual effects graph.

But when i set property of the component,i can’t get the value i created in the visual effects graph.
3 ![45|689x433]
Could i get some advise!thank you!

have multiple errors with Lit-Cube/etc-Output:
when using a sample 2018.3 HDRP project or creating a new one.

in VFX Example project everything is OK though

all Lit shaders works

It’s also impossible to use VFX from Example project anywhere else (some nodes are disconnected)

Shader Error:

Shader warning in ‘Hidden/VFX/System 1/(A) Lit Cube Output’: ‘SAMPLE_DEPTH_TEXTURE’ : macro redefinition at /Dropbox/unity/mac-safe/XPosters/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@4.1.0-preview/ShaderLibrary/API/D3D11.hlsl(109) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program
Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR