VFX Scenes - Kevin Leroy Sketchbook

Hello! :slight_smile:

This thread will be a repository of my VFX Art Scenes. :slight_smile:

I went to watch Kimi no na wa last week-end and the comet scene particularly struck me. So, I decided to start making some VFX art scenes such as that one scene, to diversify my skills and folio a bit. :slight_smile:

Everything will still be in Unity, and I’ll try to share the assets with you all, as usual. I’ll update this thread with new ones whenever something new is ready. Also, please note that they are not built to be used in an actual game. The overdraw is all over the place (as in, REALLY all over the place), and textures are not really optimized. :stuck_out_tongue:

Finally, please do not redistribute. This is only for “study” purposes, so please only use those assets for personal use only. :slight_smile:

Latest one:

Video:

So, here’s the first one: Tiamat Comet.

I’m spawning a hell of a lot of particles in this one. I definitely could have gotten a similar result using planes with panning textures, but I wanted to see what could be done using only particles. In the end, I’m really happy with the result, visually! It took me around 12 hours in total. And it’s been a lot of cheating (manually placing reflection planes or the sun in the background). :stuck_out_tongue:

Initial references:

Video:

The HD image:
https://imgur.com/a/BF7Wx

Some screenshots:

Executable: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Bfedl1A0KKQUc0d2Foc2Z2cW8
Unity Project: Google Drive: Sign-in
Wallpaper Engine item: Steam Workshop::Your Name - Tiamat Comet (1080p 60fps) (Cleaned up Version)

As always, feedback is more than welcome! I’m mainly looking for ways to improve the overall composition, colors and artistic style. :slight_smile:

If you have any ideas for the next scene I could do, please tell me!

37 Likes

Man, I’ve always been meaning to do these kinds of projects, not really game fx, but more just pretty tech projects. You have it almost dead on with the reference image. Great job.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I never really thought about it, until I watched that movie. I’ve always been doing league-related effects, and I thought I could at least try to do something different for once. And I absolutely loved working on this. There’s no programming issues, no gameplay readability concerns… Just creativity. And I think that’s what I needed most right now. :sunny:

6 Likes

This is soo cool!. I acctualy bought wallpaper engine, just to be able to have this as a wallpaper :smiley:

oh god,… I sound like a fan girl.

Anyway. Really cool work. Keep on being awesome! :smiley:

Awww, thank you! Glad you like it. :3

Wallpaper engine is really ice, imo. So many awesome wallpapers! And it runs smoothly as well!

aww man the wallpaper too. So good :smile:. Great film. Thanks for the share!

Wow! that wallpaper is really cool. Awesome job kevin :grinning:

Good work man! It looks just like in the picture.

Did you try different kind of movements? I’m just wondering what it would look like if those sort of vertical lines were just fading in and out instead of moving back on the trail, kind of like giant blurry slow sparkles.

1 Like

Thanks!

And I didn’t really try other movements, I made everything move back directly. I’m actually curious how it would look like, now that you mention. Maybe it’d feel more like an aurora borealis or more like time is kind of frozen? Would look cool! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello! Two new ones!

Escape:

Solemn:

Once again, here are the packages:

Escape: Google Drive: Sign-in

Solemn: Google Drive: Sign-in

I kind of went a bit too far with the Solemn one: 60k Shuriken particles is a bit much, so be careful if you’re running it on a toaster. But well, I’m just making this for fun, after all (don’t do this at home). :smiley:

Feedback welcome, as always!

(And yes. I like space.)

14 Likes

Little new project I’m working on: making a Code Lyoko environment in VR, in Unity (Gear VR). That cartoon has a lot of different effects, so I thought it’d be nice to make some of them, and what better platform than VR to showcase them? I’ll most likely work on this quite a lot, since I’m really enjoying this! I’ll just need to spend some time to learn how to properly use the controller’s input code, but it shouldn’t be too difficult. :slight_smile:

Here’s a WIP video: Facebook

Questions, ideas and feedback welcome! Especially if you have recommendations about making VFXs in VR. :smiley:

4 Likes

Hello! :slight_smile:

Just updating this topic with my latest scene: a Black Hole, once again made entirely in Unity. I’ve had some issues with the recording, so the quality isn’t 10/10, but well…

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgguw65UUZc

Few screenshots:

First Iteration:

Editor view (since I’m using different render layers, the editor view is greatly different from the game view):

Final rendition:

Took around 7-8h of work. Feedback, ideas and questions more than welcome! :smiley:

14 Likes

Adding a few new Scenes:

Winter Environment (5 hours):

Corridor (5 hours):

Rest (5 hours):

Eclipse (3 hours):

I’m thinking of these more as speed arts, now. I’m just trying to have interesting compositions and colors, using only the Shuriken particles in Unity (and a few meshes when needed). :slight_smile:

If you have any ideas or feedbacks, please do share! :smiley:
And feel free to ask any questions! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Had the winter one for a few weeks on my wallpaper, absolutely lovely :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, glad you liked it! :smiley:

I’m really digging the corridor, good to see you still making these!

1 Like

Great work man. Love it!

1 Like

DAT CORRIDOR! Wow, just killer work man. The composition is fantastic. :astonished:

1 Like

Thanks everyone! :smile:

Here’s another little scene I made in +/- 7h a few days ago, as I was hyped for the new season of Stranger Things. :’)
Once again, 100% in Unity, no post in AE. And yes, there’s a lot of overdraw. :’)

Here are a few screenshots:

Screenshot_183

4 Likes