Unreal engine VFX Breakdowns

Latest Tutorial

Hi everyone,

I started exploring a bit more Houdini and Niagara. I’d like to share some of my processes with people by posting occasionally breakdowns of what and how I did it, what I’ve used etc, I’m hoping it might help some people. Later down the line, I might do some lengthy tutorials. Anyway here is 1st vid. Thanks! Feedback appreciated.

Ground Break VFX
https://youtu.be/Ba-U3rSAM4Y

23 Likes

thanks for taking the time and doing a whole breakdown. super cool! and very nice effect! <3

1 Like

Thanks @simonschreibt I’m hoping to do some more in the future :slight_smile: possibly on regular basis, but we will see how it will go

2 Likes

I had some free time and decided to make another breakdown, few people mentioned in comments and twitter, they found it a bit helpful so why not… Here it is

9 Likes

Excellent man! Love seeing Niagara getting more attention. Looking great, and thanks for the breakdown.

1 Like

Hey @kimber , thanks!

1 Like

Really great stuff, I love to look through all the different breakdowns out there.

I would love to see how you set up the RBD simulation in Houdini, as that’s the part i’m always struggling with in my destruction workflow.

1 Like

Hello! Good job :slight_smile: Where did you get this skeleton?

I’m trying to find exactly the same cast animation, but I can not

1 Like

Hi @BinaryBobby I will try to record some demonstration maybe next week

1 Like

Hi @Destroyeer those assets are from Bitgem… I love bitGem assets :slight_smile: just type bitgem and it will take you to their website, they also have assets available on both unity and unreal marketplace. Hope that helps

1 Like

Oh, nice! Thank you, this is a very useful resource :slight_smile:

1 Like

Currently working on this effect and I will make a tutorial on how to create this, both using Houdini rbd sim to unreal engine. It’s not something super complicated but I struggled a bit trying to get stuff from Houdini to u4 so I though few people might find it useful. It should be out on my YT channel sometime next week.

8 Likes

Looking forward to it Pamar!

1 Like

Great stuff and really appreciate the breakdowns!

1 Like

Thanks for taking time to break down and share your work; much appreciated!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing pamar

1 Like

Hey thanks everyone! I hope you find it useful. I received some DMs on twitter and Artstation and seems like overall reception is very positive :slight_smile: so hopefully that will force me to keep doing those.

Here is another one:

3 Likes

Really enjoyed this one, particularly since I’ve been keen on creating those kind of ground eruptions from Houdini and getting into UE4. Any advice you have on that would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to seeing your continued evolution :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @kimber ! In terms of ground eruption, I’d fracture the mesh and then animation object like sphere for example to move upwards, through the fractured mesh and that’s actually exactly what I’ve used in this summon effect. I will do a vid with houdini fracture tutorial this week and hopefully it will be helpful for you.

1 Like

That would be fantastic, thanks much!

1 Like