UE4 material editor tutorials

I’ve been stuck in a bit of a rut recently when it comes to working on Effects in unreal and I feel like it comes down to not having the best understanding of the material editor, or maybe just the work flow behind more complex effects. So much of the time I don’t really feel like I understand how some of the logic behind a variety of nodes even works if I’m following a tutorial for an effect. Maybe its just something I’ll pick up eventually but if any one knows any great tutorial series for that kind of thing I would be grateful.

Though I’m not really sure what I’m looking for to be honest. Any help is appreciated.

I might suggest breaking down Paragon materials. I bought some “stylized” effects on the store and just broke those down, and that helped quite a bit.

The does sound like a good direction to move in. Any particular effects you can think of?

Not really. I’d suggest finding ones that you like.

As inspiriation you should check out the thread from @Kanoba.

That’s a great analysis of some paragon materials and you’ll learn a ton by studying them.

2 Likes

What sort of things are you struggling with? I’m always looking for ideas for my new YouTube tutorials and I’m a big fan of the material editor, so maybe I can help?

I’ve also got some introductory tutorials for the material editor on my website.

http://www.tharlevfx.com/tutorials

I feel like it is really just a general lack of knowledge regarding the material editor, following tutorials I can get an idea of what the logic is behind some shaders but I don’t feel like I ever fully understand them. I’ll take a look at what you have on your website and see if that can’t clear up any of my confusion.

ImbueFX on Youtube has some good material stuff. There are a couple of pay-for tutorials that are crazy good

its a very complicated piece of kit and you’re always learning new techniques and things so don’t worry if it doesn’t all make sense straight away. Obviously feel free to ask any questions etc.