Tobias Tobasco: Sketch #48

I usually never find the time for these, but lately I’ve been doing so much realistic, a bit of stylised fire was exactly what I needed :slight_smile:

‘Final’ Version:

It still needs a burning/glowing decal…

5 Likes

Small update:
-Darker background
-Decal added
-Smoke and flames tweaked

2 Likes

It looks really good! I really like what you did with the gem-esc detail around it. The only point I would say seems off is maybe the fire is a little slow, but that effect could be intentional. Awesome stuff!

1 Like

I think you’re absolutely right. Made it sligtly faster and softer in general.

1 Like

Excellent! Super cool stuff.

I had some time this evening to try out an idea I always wantet to test.
It’s maybe not the perfect usecase, but the idea is intersting nonetheless, so I thought I’d share it.

Basically I’m sampling the GBuffer to spawn particles based on luminance and I color them also via GBuffer.
In addition, to break up the spawning, I sample a WorldAlignedTexture, which pans and is also used for the ‘rejection’ sampling.

The result looks like this:

I’ve done this quick and dirty, just for testing, here is the breakdown, in case it helps anyone :slight_smile: :

In case your SceneColor doesn’t sample correctly, you can always try BaseColor instead, just make sure you’ve actually plugged something into BaseColor wherever you want to sample it, e.g. here my burning wood decal material:

This method could also be used to only spawn on a specific SceneColor color, rather than luminance based. E.g. only on Red.

That’s it, hope it sparks some ideas for other people :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Tobias!

I was really curious about how you made that whispy smoke, it’s exactly what I need, like photoshop approach at material/Niagara system would be great to see!

Hey Jack!
So it’s actually quite straight forward. A tampered cylinder with some noise running over it + World Position Offset on top. If you layout the UVs correctly it’s quite easy to do fade-in/out just via the TexCoord node. Simon explains this exact method in his talk here:

Mesh looks like this:

Panning texture somwhat like this:

Material Panner:

Material WPO:

6 Likes

Unfortunately didn’t have more time for this, but here is the final result with slight tweaks + breakdown of individual emitters :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/lySnA1bOWn4

Breakdown:

4 Likes

You’re a star! thank you very much for this, it will be a great help to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

can I just ask what your material ended up being? was it translucent? and did the material panner go into the opacity or opacity mask?

No problem dude :slight_smile:
Yes, translucent. And opacity. Opacity Mask is only for Masked materials.

1 Like