Texture drawing

Hello,friends, what software and brushes do you use to draw textures?
I now use krita texture brushes

But,I don’t know how to draw a texture:思维:

:笑脸:I am trying learning draw texture.Thanks Jason @Keyserito

2 Likes

You have several workflow, but it’s always depending of your needs, or what you are more confident with.

• Photoshop, or other 2D programs (don’t know Krita very well :frowning: )
    I assume it’s very depedant of your drawing skills and the brushes you are using.
    And you have all the filter available, like blur, distort, etc… You can see some tricks here : Question About creating VFX textures!

• Substance Designer
    If you are confident with node programs, this help to do very easily seemless textures, and procedurally ones. You can also make simple mathematics shapes, or import custom texture and add some noise and grunge pretty simply.

• After Effect
    I’m not using it that much, but I saw a lot of tutorial that help create fluids textures and little flipbook, and combined with a plugin called ‘Particular’ you can making very cool stuff !

• Houdini
    That’s the one I am using the most, for realistic smoke flipbooks for example (you can do a lot of other things, obviously, and not necessary realistic). You can also use fume fx or other programs like that, but it’s need a lot more technical skills to achieve the shape you want.

And this very cool site, for very common texture, if you are lazy like me :smiley:
http://mebiusbox.github.io/contents/EffectTextureMaker/

I assume there is a lot more way, but this is all I have in mind for now, maybe other people will complete this !

4 Likes

太感谢了,真需要这个,i love it~~

If I use photoshop, I usually combine photos from cgTextures with brushes (for example cutting out nice water splashes fom a photo).

For Photoshop, Adobe offers a nice collection of brushes which I use quiet often: https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/brushes.html

For free stuff: Unity offers some cc0 flipbooks which can be useful: Free VFX Image Sequences & Flipbooks | Unity Blog

4 Likes

Cool site, thank you for your answer:狞笑:

Honestly, I just use a default round brush and scrub between soft and hard edges. To make tiled textures I start off big strokes with a soft edge, going to tight detail with a hard round. I use the offset filter and paint over the seams to make it tile properly. Filters are your friend! Try out different ones and you will get different looks. Minimum, maximum, offset, gaussian blur, and motion blue are the ones I use the most. You can get really good results combining brushes for textures/patterns in Brush Settings.

Here is some great art tips in general when approaching painting: PSG Art tutorial

As far as a hand painted texture, you should approach it just like traditional painting. Large brush strokes to smaller for detail. If you jump into detail too fast, your texture will get visually noisy fast. If you look at the tutorial above, look at the “Flatten and Simply” portion to see what I mean about jumping to detail to quickly.

You just gotta practice a ton! It will be slow starting off, but once you find your own streamlined process you’ll get there :slight_smile:

Here’s an example of what you can do with a single brush and a blue filter:

Also try drawing in a sketchbook! Sometimes its easier to get an idea down on paper than in digital format, even if you’re sketching patterns, energy, and what not.

10 Likes

Hey there , well , being just a pirece of an information ( motion direction , heat distribution or smoke dissipation ) , texture may be extracted or crafted from anywhere / any software.
So if you need a smoke texture , the way you can get it heavily depends on a chosen art-style, so in some cases you may want to draw / animate it by hand ( for toon stylization, which i think is the most challenging ) in whatever drawing software you prefer , if you strive for realism , ytou may want to dive in simulation and grab your textures via rendering some volumetrics / fluids.
I personally love Houdini, cuz it works awesome for whatever purposes you may need)