SmearKees VFX Adventure

Hi everyone!

Recently I started a pretty big project together with a good friend of mine. We both play a lot of league of legends together on the botlane. My friend is a huge fan of the champion Bard and wanted to create a new skin together with some VFX.

We found the amazing Soulstealer Bard skin concept made by RiotPenguin. We were just so excited to create a dark/horror skin for him :slight_smile:

Concept:

I immediately started to explore with some concept sketches to get a feel and certain mood for the creation of the VFX. Along the way I’ll share more and more updates, but for now I want to show the concept for the Q skill :slight_smile:

Q Attack:

First VFX:

I’m still figuring out how I want to visualize the front projectile, if you’ve any feedback points feel free to share them!

Bard has a pretty huge kit when it comes to VFX so I am a bit overwhelmed haha. But I am very excited to create an awesome spooky new skin for bard :smiley:

Hope you like it!

8 Likes

Back with a new update :smiley:

So for the projectile I changed up some colors and made another effect for the head of the projectile to make it more spooky (spooky sounds…)

Next up I wanted to already start with the chimes for bard. For the chimes we thought it would be cool that bard gets his powers from the famous “helmet bro”. Helmet bro is well known in the League community and we think this is a nice add-on to the Soulstealer Bard skin.

Together with the chimes I also created a nice trail that Bard gets when he grabs the chimes.

This is a lot of fun !

4 Likes

Spooky! Looking good so far! :+1:

1 Like

Bard can shoot his spooky spells now towards Warwick :D, better watch out for his Q hit.
Started with the Q hit for Bard, also trying out small color changes too see what fits best for this skin.

Feel free to drop your thoughts :D!

5 Likes

New updates :slight_smile:

Made some tweaks to the Q clash and stun VFX. Now Soulstealer Bard has a Visual for his stun :smiley:

Next up I also made a small start for the Shrine VFX of Bard his W skill. We made 2 different versions and I’m curious what the awesome vfx artist here prefer the most.

Feel free to drop your thoughts :smiley:!

3 Likes

Currently busy with my new job for the last few months so here some old work I made before I started. Models are from Riot Games League of Legends.

Some passive effects :smiley:

2 Likes

Looking awesome smearkees, one question where does one find league of legends environment, i see a lot of people here using it.

1 Like

Thanks alot man :D. For the environments I just screenshot a background and place it on a plane underneath the vfx, maybe other people doe the same :slight_smile:

Some 2D vfx sketches during train rides, slowly setting up my shaders and new scene in Unity 2019 to continue my 3D effects :smiley:

Characters were made by Gijs Witkamp and the torch drawing by Gustavo, 2 awesome colleagues I work with :slight_smile:
MonsterFX

image0%20(2)

image0%20(3)

1 Like

So work gave us the time to learn new VFX stuff and little tips/tricks. So this is the best moment to go through some of the awesome tutorials from the VFXApprentice courses, I also used the uber shaders from the Unity project, thanks alot for that @Lush :smiley:

So I still had some old concepts in the old box and thought hey lets create the pentagram Effect.

Here the VFX in the engine, I also created an extra hit vfx :smiley:
Enjoy and if you’ve any feedback feel free to share it with me !

We also found the summoner that summons the skill :smiley:

4 Likes

Oooh so nice to see you creating stuff again!

Glad you enjoyed the VFX Apprentice course too hehehe :blush:

1 Like

Yea really happy with the result! Was a while back when I created something new in Unity haha

Another update, today was a productive day :slight_smile:
Enjoy the weekend everyone!

2 Likes

Runeterra fan art VFX :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Currently working on a Poison Totem VFX. This is an idea I had in my head for a long time now and I finally started to create it :slight_smile:

I also already started with implementing it in Unity but still alot has to be done to achieve the quality of the concept!

Enjoy and feedback is always appreciated!

3 Likes

Small Fire orbiting effect :slight_smile:

3 Likes

New update for the totem VFX, started with the birth animation :smiley:

6 Likes

Started with a new Love explosion effect, my girlffriend wanted to see some effects out of my comfort zone so it’s also a challenge for me :D.

The timing is not final but it’s a nice setup for the effect :smiley:
Feel free to drop feedback!

2 Likes

Update for the HeartExplosion vfx. Changed some timings and tweaked a some glows etc, still not there but it’s getting along nicely.