Personal Progress FX - Chris Nordgren

Alright!
The listed suggestions should work for those scenarios aswell thou!

Thanks for clarifying @Torbach ! :slight_smile:

Wow it looks amazing. How did you do the shrinking and dissolving of the beam at the end of the effect?

For that specific effect I just transformed a particle (Size over lifetime), but I recommend using a lineRenderer instead:slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been super busy these latest couple of weeks doing freelance taking a lot of jobs.There is still a lot but for now its good

I made this knight character for a client a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of other animations aswell but I could share this one.

Pixel art FX are the best

11 Likes

Chris, I love your unique style and the quality and how you keep your art simple and readable! Nowadays, It’s really difficult to find good cartoon stilistic adopted to 3d without any compromises, but you did. Great! It looks like a gem!

Thank you @Alexander_Fedotovsky
I still feel that there is some improvements I would love to look into on most effects done here but I am glad that you feel its good stuff.

I have seen your work from the VFX reel and some effects there are near perfection.
I really like that baseball girls super throw:
(Alexander Fedotovskikh - VFX Reel) (2:02)

1 Like

New explosion pack coming up, just a gif I made

Expect a lot more pixel art VFX soon

6 Likes

more weird explosions!

7 Likes

bloodexamples

Some blood experiments!

2 Likes

More blood variation experiments:

7 Likes

I love seeing paused effects and examined in realtime like this, thought you guys would too :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Testing out some funky VFX for another pack

5 Likes

Was experimenting got this funky looking thing, thought it looked cool

patterns

Testing more projectile variations

5 Likes

This inspired me to try to recreate a similar effect just for practice. I tried to do it with a LineRenderer instead of the mesh. Would love to hear any feedback… I’m still very much in the early stages of learning VFX.

Edit: Ignore that weird banding around the ball. For some reason uploading the GIF caused that artifact to appear.
laser

Looks really cool! It has this overwatch-cartoony vibe! The lightning I personally feel could maybe be slightly less sporadic silhouette and maybe spawn a little less. I would also say you should build a temp environment, just so the effect does not float in space, it can be little abstract in what you want to accomplish.

Another bigger recommendation if you want continuous feedback then you should start your own thread so you will get feedback there rather than its posted on my personal thread

I appreciate you posting your result here but imagine it would be better for you to make your own :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback man. Didn’t mean to hijack your thread or anything, just thought I’d post it here since it was basically a study of one of your effects. But yeah, I’m planning to start my own VFX journal thread soon :slight_smile:.

Alright, no problem! :slight_smile:

Looking forward to see more stuff! :smiley:

Very stylized version of a stylized impact/projectile/muzzleflare

made for mobiles, VR and the rest :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Cube shots for projectile pack

3 Likes