Need Help! for this effect

Hey peeps! :wave:
I am currently working on my thesis project and I must say artist did great job with the concept art of this effect.
I really want to know if there is low cost way that I can use to create that tar like plumes coming from the character.
Any help will be appreciated :smile:
Thank you!!!
effect

I suppose it depends on your tools/engine, as well as the particular style, but if I was gonna tackle this, I’d start with meshes. Some blobby geospheres that kinda look like toony clouds:

blobby

And then do most of the work on the material/shader side of things. This is a quick re-creation of a material I’ve made for toon-like explosions (heavily referencing this GDC talk, particularly @Shens and @imbueFX’s portions: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024715/Art-Directing-VFX-for-Stylized). I made the “smoke” shiny and black to look like your tar picture.

TarClip

I’ve used this sort of clip-out technique on lots of things. You’d be surprised by how versatile it can be! Here’s the same sort of thing in injustice 2:

ATVom

3 Likes

Oh its cool! I like the material transition thing on the blob. I will definitely try this out. Thank you so much :grin: