MR_Pol: Shetch #16

Hi folks!
I’m back and it’s been a long time since I posted something here. It’s a pleasure to participate again.
Therefore, here is the first step of my Shield FX !

Sorry the gif is a bit laggy i’ll make better capture nex time. :slight_smile:

31 Likes

Hi all! I present to you the 2nd step of this effect!

Now i’ll focus on animating all of this. ( And make some fix like smoothing the border of the mesh ^^ )
As usual, feel free to feedback, it’s always usefull to me. :wink:

Cheers

31 Likes

I really like the waviness of the pulses, very cool! That combined with the fine secondary details gives it a really ethereal quality that I like a lot, nice work :slight_smile:

One minor thing, maybe increase the subdivisions on the shield shape, the silhouette looks a bit low poly.

1 Like

Thanks for your adorable comment! I’m glad you like it.

Sure, it will be done, i have seen it too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is really cool! I want to try and follow…
So you are attaching a particle system to a mesh. Or is it two separate particle systems on a single actor?
I’m always interested in seeing the shader / blueprint / emitter SSs to see behind-the-scenes!
What I love about this effect is how it gives off that holy protector vibe. Definitely similar to Leona from LoL!

2 Likes

Hi !

Right now, this is 100% shader. I’m only using BP to roll out the shield.
I might do a breakdown of the effect once I’m finished! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Would love to see breakdown too when u’re done. Especially the fluid like shield effect, can’t stop looking at it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love the difference in the intensity of the flow from the starting point to the outter body. Will definetly look forward to seeing more!

2 Likes

This is lovely, it feels like it could be something out of Destiny 2.

3 Likes

Thank you for your comment. It’s really encouraging and push me to improve the effect.
I’ll show you the next step soon. :slight_smile:

For the breakdown I have to clean my shader node before I suppose. :wink:

1 Like

Astonishing :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Would love to see a breakdown of the shield texture / shader! Looks great! Feels like sands of time ish…

2 Likes

Hi there , it took me some time but here it is ! :slight_smile:
I’ll take some take to prepare you a quick breakdown next week!

12 Likes

Very pretty! I love the motion and colors you have here. Very fluid and calming :stuck_out_tongue: Well done.

2 Likes

Love the impact moments, i feel like the trail of the sheid that came from above could last a bit longer and dissolve into smaller bits :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi ! Thanks for yours comments.
@SlothTom that’s an helpfull feedback. I’m gonna working on it asap. :slight_smile:

But before I’d like to show you the first part of a breakdown of the pulse effect on the shield.
First increase the gradient (G or R it’s depending of the uvmap you are working on), adding time value.
If i let this in this state it will return a gradient between t and t+1 ( t mean time of course) .
Now I need to reset the gradient. There is different options, using Frac or Modulo.
I use modulo because it’s managable (frac.x = x Mod 1) to change the delay between impulse .

e.g : x mod 2, where x = gradient + t, means that my value will be reset every 2 sec at a max value of 1.99999.
So during the first second, the gradient will go from 0 to 1, then you’ll get a 1 second delay before the gradient start again. I clamp the value with a min function so it’s always between 0 and 1, and invert the result ( one minus ) so the gradient max value is close to the line of the pulse and fade behind.
After all this use a pow to manage the gradient fading.

Let’s see it in gif witn different parrameters:
Fmod2: Freq 1, mod 1

Fmod1 : Freq 2, mod 1

Fmod3 : Freq2, mod 2

Fmod4 : Freq 1 , mod 0.5

Fmod5 : Freq 1 mod 1, pow 2

17 Likes

Thank you for the breakdown and explanation, this really helps with learning where to start these kinds of effects!

2 Likes

This composition is beautifully balanced! and I think you chose great colors for it. Is there any chance you could show what the smokey and sparkle textures you were using?

2 Likes

Hello!
I post my last version here before the deadline. Like the first time my computer is dying.
I will use another one to share a better catch soon.
It’s really frustrating for me, I hope you enjoy it anyway.
https://imgur.com/F70YDzg

8 Likes

That finish is wonderful. Great job !

2 Likes