Final result:

VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%207%20F

VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%206

VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%205%20C

VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%204%20%20B

VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%203

Dot_Burn%20HD_B

Hi!
So, after a long time watching this sketches events and loving the effects that people made, I desided to finally try out and have some fun :slight_smile:

I´m going for a burn fx, as I was already working with some fire fx the past month.
I use my reference to get the feel of my effects, in this case I like the rapid like thunder start and the power of the flames, as the way the body turns dark in contrast with the fire.

https://ar.pinterest.com/pin/726698089854518325/
616228a2de8823cdc12f275d1c0afb75

I already have a unlit master shader for my vfx that im working on currently.

Along with a tool to controll when, where and how to spawn the particles. At the same time when to drope them.

So this will help me to test it and develope a lit master shader for the body of the avatar.

Im working on putting together the animation, some mesh particles and a base flame to get the rapid feel.

This is how its getting:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/726698089854608422/emphasized text

17 Likes

Dot_Burn%20HD_B
Update:
I worked the ground base of the effect, the opaque shader ad some details.
I don’t know how regularly should I update or what exactly :thinking:

I developed an opaque shader with some functionality that i think will be in handy for this and some future effects.
In this case the more important functionality for me was a good control for scrolling textures (in this case the emission), and a distorter with which I could affect the textures.
Dot_Burn_Opaque_Base

For the fire shape I used meshes with fresnel and scrolling textures, this technique comes in handy to sell the soft edges.
Also, the fire has depth blend, I use it to blend it with the ground and also to let the body of the character affect the alpha and let it dark.

Dot_Burn_Mesh_Emitter
And to break a little the fire silhouette and add some credibility I added some particles using the skinned mesh as the shape.

6 Likes

So cool! I’ll look forward for updates on this one! :3

1 Like

Thanks!!!
I´m so glad you like it! :grin:

1 Like

VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%203

Update #3:
Working on the spawn of the fx.
Still work in progress, dont know if I will change the sigil, not sure if I like it. Guess I´ll try some more iterations to see if end up liking it or ill change it to something more natural and not so magic.
Maybe some cracks in the floor or a thunder :thinking:

For the sigil design I used this sourse for now:
https://www.deviantart.com/psykikraithe/art/Catalyst-The-Glyph-of-Fire-2-88966309

6 Likes

I’m loving this so far!! Simple and gets the point across very well! I like how you’re doing the spawn into the main fire part using the rune circle at the bottom. Colors and elements look really nice and flow in well with the effect.

One thing I’d suggest is to try and implement a “cause and effect” into your piece. What is causing the rune to burst into flame? Maybe an anticipation flare that sucks in while the rune grows, holds and then bursts!

I like the fire style you’ve got going on so you don’t “HAVE” to change it if you don’t want to. Think about what happens to the fire after it burns him off! Maybe adding some burned left over scorch marks on the groundat the end can enhance the look too.

Over all, I love where this is going and can’t wait to see it finished! Hope this helps dude. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback Veer, this helps me a lot!:grinning:
I see what you suggest, I´ll work on it!
Thanks again.:grin:

1 Like

Update #

VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%204%20%20B

Still Working on the spawn of the fx, the timing still needs some work.

10 Likes

I like how aggressive the flame feels, personally I’d add small flames moving upwards and also some sparks. I really like the ring you have under the character, imo it shouldn’t just go away, I’d make it more intense as if it’s a source of the fire? hope that helps! Good stuff so far!

1 Like

Thanks Pamar!
I really like your effects by the way, I saw your shield an loots drops fx while ago and they are amazing.

Thanks, the feedback is helping me a lot. I plan on making the feel that the mark has some impact on the world, maybe an slow expnasive wave of air when it fills, then a quick absorption of energy to lastly finish charging the mark (like @veer suggested). After absorving it will detonate in a burst of flames upwards. When the flames disipate, the floor and the character will have some smoke coming out of them.

Thanks a lot for the kind words and the feedback!:grinning:

2 Likes

Update #5
VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%205%20C
Spawn almost there.

I´m having troubles uploading a nice quality gif, if someone has some tip of how to do it would be nice to hear it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Loving that intro buildup! A couple of thoughts:

1. The intro feels a bit long, I would maybe try having the wind that comes in happen when the circle is at like 50-75%, and then instead of having the two separate impacts, you merge them into one.
  2. Try not to use camera shakes as a crutch to make impacts feel good. Camera shakes should be a nice, subtle addition, rather than an earthquake. Using two shakes here also doesn’t really make sense. I would try just one and also tone it down a little.
  3. Do you have an outro yet? Would love to see the entire timeline of the effect!

Just some thoughts! It’s looking really cool!

1 Like

Hi Hyrun!
Thank you so much for the feed back!
I saw what you ment about merging them into one and I really liked the Idea. Here is the update of that:
VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%206%20B
What I feel now is that the Mark creation and the fire vortex fight for the attention. But I really feel like I should move to the outro before working on that, so that I have all the timeline done.

You are right about the camera shakes, I do feel That I tend to over use it, thanks for making me notice :grinning:

I do not have an outro yet, currently it just fade:
VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%206%20Outro

But I have something on mind already.
I’m really glad you like it, thanks again for the feedback!

7 Likes

Update #7

VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%207%20F

Here is a tiny look of how the complete timeline looks right now, sorry about the quality, I’ll upload a full video sometime later.:grin:
And here are the separates segments (Intro, Loop, Outro)

VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%207%20Intro
VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%207%20Loop
VFX%20Status%20Burn%20Update%207%20Outro

I’m still working on the overall compo, the loop feels too blurry in contrast with the spawn, the outro is to empty (The ground and the avatar feels to clean whit no visible consecuence for what just happened)

8 Likes

Getting there, it looks awsome. Can you share the wireframe view of this effect? I wonder what meshes you use exactly. :slight_smile:
Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Your effect is awesome man

1 Like

Thank you!
I’ll show the meshes when its finished.(I plan on do it in the weekend) :grin:

Thanks man!! I’m glad to read that you like it. :grinning:

Great work so far! Love the fire speed. For the third one, I think it could use more anticipation timing. Maybe you could use the cool markings on the ground as a hint of what is about to happen… but not as agressive as in the first example. I would also make these ground shapes bigger. I think it would be more readable.

1 Like

You’re right! I still need to work on the outro timing an compo, so that the player identifies when is about to end. I have something in mind. :grin:
Thanks for the feedback! I’ll take a look on the marks in the ground.:slightly_smiling_face: