Introduce Yourself! A little about yourselves

Hi Everyone!

I’m Thomas Iché, and I’ve been working in Real Time VFX since 2008 in Paris on the “never-shipped” :cry: I Am Alive at Darkworks, then Remember Me, and Life is Strange. I also gave a hand for the guys of Ragequit Corp on Strike Vector (and a bit on the EX too). Now, I’m working at Unity in the VFX R&D team. I learned of the RTVFX group by my friend Orson Favrel and also with Drew Skillman whom I met this year at GDC’s roundtables.

I’ve mainly UE3 (and a bit 4) experience, and a bit of unity. And for 3 years, I’ve been learning then switched my offline toolchain to Houdini (I’m quite an addict :))

You can find my (outdated) website here : http://peeweek.net/ and my twitter (mainly rants in french & vfx topics) there : https://twitter.com/peeweekVFX

I’m quite into classic gaming, and I love bunnies, especially lops :smiley:

Nice meeting all you guys :slight_smile: Wish the best for all of us in this community!

4 Likes

Hello, My name is Ken Whitman. I have been working in game vfx for about 15 years. I started on MechAssault for xbox back in the day, and worked in a bunch of different genres along the way: FPS, 3rd person shooters, Action RPG, MMO, Mobile. My current project is Dropzone - https://en.dropzone.gameforge.com/, which is currently in closed beta.

It’s very cool to see game fx artists collaborating this way. I look forward to being a part of the site!

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Jamal Coleman, Lead VFX Artist at Outact. We’re working on a game called Wartide right now. From time to time I post VFX gifs I’ve done on my twitter, like this one.

I currently work in Unity, but have also worked in Unreal on Smite. I love VFX and have been doing it professionally since 2012. If you’re in the Northeast/Boston area or just want to chat or check out Wartide, send me a message!

4 Likes

Hey there

My is Ashleigh Jones, currently I work on Vainglory and I used to worked on Heroes of Newerth for over 3 years, as a vfx artist. Its great to see this community develop and grow, can’t wait to see where this all goes.

5 Likes

Hello, dear all!

This is me, Senior Technical Artist at Remedy Entertainment, Finland, working mostly on rendery things for our Northlight engine - but I’ve done my fair share of VFX as well. I started in 1996 or so; first rendering things for web games, then real time work at Futuremark for a few 3DMarks, plus a bit for Remedy’s Max Payne 1 on the side. Plus demoscene things even before that. After 2001 I took a long detour to the offline rendering side, had my own animation company with a couple of friends for 11 years, doing mostly advertising, but also some VFX, r&d, and game outsourcing and consultancy. Now I’ve been back at the game side for a few years, both AAA and mobile (Rovio, Next Games), and currently loving my more r&d’y position here at Remedy.

Tools-wise I’ve been a big Houdini nerd for 10 years now, trying to use it for anything and everything I do :slight_smile:

I’m real happy to see such a big congregation of great people here, good times!

5 Likes

Hello everyone!

My name is Caleb, i am a senior VFX artist at Foundry 42 in Frankfurt. I am currently working alongside Mike/Snowy on Star Citizen. I have been in the VFX industry for about 4.5 years. Prior to that i had been in the PC games modding scene for about 10 years.

I love learning and developing new techniques to improve the look of real time VFX and push the bounds of what is possible. I cant wait to pick all your brains for that juicy information. :smiley:

6 Likes

Hi Everyone!

This community is awesome, and I love the idea of this project!

My name is Michal. I’m a CTO/CEO for Dreadlocks Ltd. Everything about real-time visual effects is my hobby. I am responsible for the technical aspects of the effects in our studio.

Our studio is currently working on a horror game for Win/Mac/Linux/XB1/PS4 with native support for Virtual Reality. One of the Interesting aspects about our project is that the game is being designed twice - once for VR and once for non-VR. The second interesting visual design technique used in Ghost Theory is the use of real actors. The actors are recorded with a stereoscopic video camera on green screen and translated in the game as ghosts for special encounters. This technology gave very interesting effects and worked very well for us!

If you are interested in our project,you can support us with a LIKE if you enjoy the concept.
https://www.cryengine.com/development-fund/projects/ghost-theory

Cheers!
Michal

3 Likes

Hello,

My name is Dave, I’ve been in the industry since 2007, I started at Bizare Creations, moved to Eurocom then to Frontier Developments. Currently working on Planet Coaster after a stint of work on a little space game Called Elite:Dangerous.

Cheers,
Dave

3 Likes

Oh VAP boy. You sound all grown up! :wink:

2 Likes

Wow really don’t miss that haha

1 Like

I did. It took me several years to get the super hightech VAPs back into my life. Got them earlier this year. :S

1 Like

awww must be Karma? haha

1 Like

Hi all!

I’ve been wanting to look into technical one of the more technical parts of the 3D game pipeline, but haven’t really known where to look. I looked a bit into shaders, but that went a bit above my head. It looks like VFX might have the right mix of technical know-how, understanding of how different things work under the hood, and artistic stuff without too much programming. I don’t have anything to show off, but I really appreciate all the work that went into this community!

3 Likes

What a collection of talent!

Hey everyone, I’m Jeremy Mathes, Lead Fx artist at Digital Extremes. I’ve been doing realtime Fx since 2010, and have been on Warframe for the past 3-4 years; gotta love being on an effects-heavy game.

Excited to see this site grow, should be a great resource for our sheltered community.

3 Likes

Hi gang!

I’m Alexandre Belanger, I am currently working at Warner Bros Games Montreal as a lead FX artist.
I’ve been in the game industry for the last 15 years.
This site is a really good idea, we needed that for a long time.
Can’t wait to see all the good stuff this will bring.

Cheers
Alex B

6 Likes

Hopefully we are still doing it by the time you reach the end to come up to the game studio and work with us.

1 Like

Howdy All,

I am Kris Ducote and have been gaming / modding since my early teens.
I currently work at Full Sail as a teacher in Game Development’s Final Project class, where Game Dev students come together to create a game in a few months. As the only art discipline instructor in the room, I am tasked with helping and teaching programmer the art side of video game creation.
So as a jack-of-all-trades, I like to research what the industry does and pass that knowledge to the students to prepare them that much more for working with you guys. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for making Warframe look awesome!

1 Like

Hello!

My name is Chad Thelen. I’m currently working in VFX at High Voltage Software. I’ve been a character modeler for 6.5 years and a vfx/technical artist for 3. We proudly wear many hats here. I was the lead/only vfx artist on our first Oculus/VR game, Damaged Core (just released). I’m particularly proud of this title considering how small our team was.

Now that the afterglow is settling, I’m looking to expand my knowledge and connect with my vfx kin. It seems we are a relatively small community.

This site is a great idea… it should have been so obvious, but I guess that is how you know you have a good idea!

I look forward to seeing where this goes :grin:

4 Likes

Hi All

My Name is Ryosuke Leo Sakaue. (I try not to inflict my first and last name on people, so please feel free to just call me “Leo” =P) I’m currently working at The Coalition for Gears of War 4. I’ve have been a VFX artist for 7+ years Starting in TV cartoons.
Fell in Love with Real-time FX when I moved to games for the first time 6 years ago.
Haven’t seen really much of anything community-wise for RT VFX so really happy to see this group being setup up!

3 Likes