Introduce Yourself! A little about yourselves

Greetings Realtime VFX Community!
I am an old VFXer from the film days, spent a handful of years making AAA games and now I teach Technical Art at the University of Central Florida. I’ll be teaching the first ever real-time VFX course in the Spring so I am assembling the curriculum, building the lessons and creating the projects. I would love to get everyone’s feedback on the courses content.

Other than teaching Technical Art, I’m all about creating immersive theme world experiences. I maintain a blog on the topic at imyth-x.com. Please drop by and feel free to share your comments. Hopefully I’ll get to meet all of you in the near future.
Cheers!

4 Likes

Hey guys,
I am a UI/UX developer who is attempting to make a switch over to the more artistic side of things. I have been ‘lurking’ on this forum for some time now and have decided to start working on VFX - (ultimate goal is to switch over to a VFX artist role in the future). I recently started learning the unreal engine (as I know some C++) and want to explore the particle system that they use.

Is there any advice that some of the veterans or more experienced vfx artists give a noob like myself?
Thanks and nice to meet everyone!

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Sterling and I’m a game art student at the Academy of Interactive Entertainment in Seattle, Washington, US. I’ve been messing with realtime VFX for some months now and I’m continuing to have a blast with them! I’ve been mostly working in Unity but I’m excited to start experimenting in Unreal. I want to learn as much as possible, from particles to shaders and any other pieces that I might not know about yet. I love all the knowledge that RT VFX offers and I thought it was finally time to introduce myself and try to make some connections.

Heres my Artstation VFX!

Thanks for letting me join such a cool community and I can’t wait to make my way into the industry to work with you folks,
Sterling Savoy

3 Likes

Hi there !
I’m Giovanni (if hard to say, just call me SitD), an italian autodidact student of VFX…but since now just a wannabe ahah.
I made some particle fx but…nothing to be proud…
But one day, via ArtStation I found this forum and yelled “YEAH ! I FOUND A WAY!” or something like that, I don’t remember perfectly, I was just happy.
Well, obviously I’m a gamer who want to be part of a team to create that software who inspire our dreams since kids, a real videogame.
I know, someone could think that I’m just a dreamer, but…the dreams are what guide us to incredible actions and maybe, if we want, those actions will lead us to that dream, which is not a dream anymore, but reality.
After this philosophical introduction…let’s get started !

(I REALLY appreciate if some grammar-nazi tells me how is my english, just for improving, thanks !)

4 Likes

Hello, my name is Thomas! I went to school for game production in the early aughts and had a glint in my eye for VFX. Unfortunately life got in the way for a long time, but now I’m coming back into the industry with a want to make VFX.

I was recommended this forum after attending a Unity VFX meetup in Seattle late last year, and I’m finally ready to really dive in and hopefully find a career making really cool stuff! All the things I’ve seen on this forum have been super insightful and have spurred on my will to learn and create.

I’ve spent the past few months learning blender and am about to jump into @GabrielAguiar 's Udemy UE4 course to act as a refresher and get stuck in. @Travis 's beginner thread was also super motivational and gave me even more resolve :triumph:

Here’s the last couple things I did before life happened lol. (back in good ol cascade)

4 Likes

I’m Don. An UI artist from Level Ex. We make games for doctors. I find VFX super cool! Would love to learn more from everyone for personal and professional uses.

2 Likes

Hi, I am Poly Fearless. VFX artist from Russia.
Worked a lot as freelance artist for mobile games.
Now searching for a job somewhere in Canada or USA ( have no idea how to get it )
Here is my stuff:
https://www.artstation.com/polyfearless

5 Likes

Hello there,

My name is Maxime Mege-Ythier, I come from France, currently working in Finland.
I 've been working as a VFX artist for 6/7 years.

I’m looking from time to time on this forum, never posted anything yet, hoping to fix that soon
Here’s my Artstation

6 Likes

Hello everyone ! I’m very glad to be a part of this growing community :v:. I am 20 years old, I started writing when i was 13, over time i added psychology, sociology and a bit of philosophy to my style and i became experienced writer and game writer. Beside writing i started learning about game development when i was 14-15, i can do level design, UI Design, a bit of 3D Art (My blender skills got rusty over time due to a pause of 2 years), and a lot more!
Currently i am working in a team called WarLab Studios on 2 fantasy game projects.

I recently started Learning about VFX, it’s not easy but i admit it’s fun ! I found a lot of useful content here and i’m thankful for it!

4 Likes

Hey there! I am Nikolas and I am an aspiring VFX artist. I am currently in my last year of studying at howest DAE in Belgium in the course Game Graphics Production.
I am actually from Germany and started doing stuff around games 4 and a half years ago now. Over the time I noticed that VFX is the most fun for me, even though I am a decent 3D generalist.
This community inspires me and like how people stay together here and help each other out, I want to be a part of this :slight_smile: .

Other than that I am currently looking desperately for an end of study Internship in a games company from February until the end of June. Maybe someone here knows someone that can help me out with this, I am very open and I mostly want to learn something about the life in a company and about VFX during that time.
Here is my artstation for a little showcase of what I learned so far.
I got experience in a lot of software, including Unity, Unreal houdini and various Autodesk and adobe software.

Thank you for reading my introduction if you got that far :smiley:

5 Likes

Hello, i’ve been working within practical effects (pyro, air, liquid, cryo, fog…etc) for film, tv and live events for over 20 years. the past 18 months <> made me realise that I need to go more towards VFX, and VJ work (plus almost 2 years sitting on my arse hasn’t been the best for my health. I think “Fat Pie” would be the correct description of my physical form, right now). Originally from Scotland, now living in Sweden. I’m here like most of us, to build a community with like minded mentalists and gain some knowledge from the experienced members (insert Bevis and Butthead reference) and maybe be helpful to someone who needs it.
Anyway, still fairly new to this stuff, I have done a wee demo for some things. hope you enjoy.
Paul Crowe Demo Show reel 2020 on Vimeo
I’ll put up a newer demo once I’ve worked on it.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Greg!

I used to be an Activity Manager / Cruise Director with Celebrity Cruises, but I left the sea to go back to school for art. I’ve been learning 3d for the last few years and have done a little bit of everything - but haven’t touched vfx until now. I’ve been learning for a few weeks. It seems to be clicking pretty well and I find myself using my free time to absorb more and more information.

The resources and guidance here is just invaluable. Thank you all for making this community.

4 Likes

Oh! I didn’t realize there were intros on here!

I’m the Principal Tech Artist/Graphics Programmer at a small (though growing) game company you’ve never heard of. I had a long career in VFX for film before entering the game world. I had some part in most major blockbusters of the 00’s, so you’ve probably seen my work on screen. I’ve also had various other bits and pieces of careers in everything from semiconductor circuit design to Tech.

Moved into the game world when realtime tech finally caught up to what I was doing in film. (And because my Houdini skills became valuable). Enjoying the challenge and the chance to do both art and programming stuff.

Hi!

4 Likes

Welcome @DexterSkyhook @SecondFavorite @FRGFX glad you could join us!

It’s awesome getting to see people from all kinds of previous backgrounds getting into real-time vfx :partying_face:

2 Likes

I guess I am the first 2022er here haha!
I don’t know why I haven’t found this website earlier. I definitely wasn’t looking at all. but it is never too late.

Oh, Hi all: :slightly_smiling_face:
I am Ali Ahmadi, I am kinda in the industry. I can say I am on the border of things. I never had a chance to work on a big title but lately could manage to get into some cool projects. I am currently Leading the VFX team at Razor Edge Games, and do freelance projects as well.
I like Offline VFX as much as real-time VFX. and the fun part for me is to use both on both, a bit of a challenge but it is interesting to me.
I loved the magic of cinema. I love music, I draw from time to time it helps me to calm myself- I am always at the stage of learning. I hope I can learn a lot from this community and give some back. this is actually the first community that I am excited to be part of.
thank you the ones who made this community.

1 Like

Hey, my name is Sam. I’m currently working with a very small team at my university as a programming intern in Unity. Unfortunately there hasn’t been a lot of need for fancy vfx so lately I haven’t spent as much time making cool stuff as I’d like. I’m currently at Utah Tech University and I’m interested in doing a vfx certificate program once I’ve graduated at either Lost Boys or Gnomon. I have recently started a club centered around game-development and real-time technology and it’s been super fun.