I want your opinion as you have far more knowledge than me: How easy is to convert a material/shader of unity to Unreal?

Hello! I think the title of this topic is very clear. The reason i make this is because there is a lot of tutorials here that i wanted to use, but they are for Unity (like a very cool fire shader i found here)
Before those saying “it depends of complexity of the shader” yeah i know, i know. But my doubt is: How different they are? Too much? A little bit? Is Unreal far more complex? or Unity? I want to know what you think. Thanks

What kind of shader are you trying to convert? Shader Graph/3rd party node based shader plugin type stuff, lines of code type shaders, or are you just looking at just the effect and thinking i wanna remake that in unreal.

I personally think whats more important here is your shader knowledge in general and whats available to you within shaders. if you understand what the shader you want to recreate is doing, either by reading nodes/code or breaking down the effect through estimated experimentation, then conversion would not be too difficult.

and the more you know the easier it gets, what is and isn’t possible, that’s using this and that, this thing is that thing but with a different name, etc.

1 Like

If you understand the basics, it’s super simple. The nodes might change, but in essence, it’s the same. Even though you can achieve the same or similar results by a multitude of different ways.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8lqw0O

Did the shader conversion from Unreal to Unity’s Shader Graph for this project. Both have their advantages and limitations.

This is my shader editor of choice for Unity. They try to emulate Unreal’s node-based material editor, so most of the nodes are the same.

Hope it was helpful!

3 Likes

I’ll be honest to you (It may be illegal) but there is a pack of realistic effects in unity,
this one https://youtu.be/JzezSQdKJoA

And i want to make the same thing in Unreal Engine. I know how to create particle effects like that, but the materials, shaders and textures this dude used i think i’m not in the same level of knowledge. Converting Each one of then to Unreal (using the same Textures he used) is what i want.

1 Like

Feel free to DM on twitter @LushVFX and I’ll try to help you with that, I’ll explain you why are the materials that way and how they work, but please don’t do any illegal stuff. Use it wisely!

Yeah of course, i’ll first see if i’m allowed to do this… I must be careful, because i might spend 40 Moneys and get screwed.
Thanks for helping

1 Like

Yup, i can’t. Unfortunatly, everything under unity asset store is only allowed on Unity Engine… The seller must sell for me in personal, but he wont do that… I can try recrrate the effects and materials, but i wont be able to use them, so it’s not worth. Thanks for offering your help Lush.

1 Like