How can I get the position of the next particle by ID in a scratch pad?

I have tried this method but it doesn’t seem to work. Maybe it’s because the attribute reader doesn’t work on itself?

Hey, did you checked the “Recquire persistent ID” in the emitter properties ?

Then also, where is this scratch pad module in the emitter ? Do you use it in ParticleSpawn stage ? If yes, it will not work since the “next particle” is not spawned yet when this one is spawning.

Maybe some better description of your situation and what you are trying to do would help.

Hi Mooka,

Persistent IDs are in fact ticked and this is in the particle update stage. I created a helix of particles and I’m trying to align each particles towards the next to put some mesh on it and create a rope.

Thanks for your help!

I think, in general, you cannot.
The unique id is guaranteed to be completely unique, but not guaranteed to be predictable.
There’s also no way to fetch an ordered list etc, so I don’t think this is possible.

1 Like

Missed your context about the rope.

The way I would do a rope is to spawn all particles of that rope in one go, then in the spawn script you can use execution Index to get an ordered list of particles.
Then, using attribute reader, you can get the UniqueID of those particles to use in update