Help with PostProcess Material Electric shock

I need help creating something like this Call of Duty kill while electrocuted - YouTube anyone have any idea how to make it?

It’s very easy to do, you only need one thunder texture and one displacement texture to displace the thunder texture. Then you lerp the result with the black color using two different sine functions for randomness and add it to the main pass Scene texture.
You can also control the flickering in Blueprint with the timeline and material collection.

Alternately, for maximum realism, you could also render a flipbook texture in After Effect and use it as a postprocess material.

giphy

Feel free to use the provided textures if you like them; they are made in Substanc Desinger.

Thunder texture.

Displasment texture.

Thank you I will ttry this method, I dont understand however how to distort the thunder texture, should I use a panner and add texture coordinate in the UV? or is there any other method I could use? and regarding the sine should I connect the sint to time?

This is the sine random flickering function to lerp different values.

Setup for distorting the thunder texture.

Random position function for moving thunder texture in different positions every few frames.

Texture for the radome position function to sample.
random_pos

It needs to be 64 x 64 pixels and imported with these settings in the unreal editor.
Use the texture provided in this post.

Screenshot_4

Screenshot_5

Screenshot_6

It needs to be 64 x 64 pixels and imported with these settings in the unreal editor.
Use the texture provided in this post.

This youtube video explains the principle behind the random position technique.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your help, I would buy you a beer if I could!

1 Like