Flipbook blending side and top view

Hey guys,

I recently discovered a video of a person creating an explosion made of 2 flipbooks.

He has one for the side view of the explosion and one for the top view of the explosion.

The cool part is that he is blending them rather seamlessly apparently using some fresnel wizardry based on the camera angle.

I am trying to do the same but cannot wrap my head around it :confused:

If someone knows how to reproduce this blending effect, it would be awesome, thanks!

blendtopview

Something like this I imagine.

two renderes with axis locked and then fading on the camera angle.

Oh, this might be what I was looking for, I will check it out, thanks!

I got curious on my own and did some quick tests. At the heart of this method, this is just a dot product thats controling a lerp fade, based on the facing direction of the sprite and the cameras forward vector.

Here are the two setups I have. One with a Normalized Dot Product and one with a clamped remaping. Each has different fucntions.

In this image, we are looking at the values from the Niagara Module, and you can see that when the camera vector is aligned with the sprite face, we get a 1 value.

As we rotate the sprite face, you can see the Dot product value change, and we now have a LERP for the colors, and those change as well.

And finally, when the Sprite facing it perpecdicular to the camera vector, the dot product value is 0.

With just a Normalized Dot product and no clamp, we can start going into the inverse of the sprite facing, which returns a negative value. Using the remap, you can more control over the max and min input values youre wanting.

I hope this helps and you’ve gain some more understanding of the process. If you’re interested in learning about DOT product and Cross products, lots of good reading material should be available.

2 Likes