Dynamically disable emitters in Niagara?

Hey guys, I was wondering if there is a way in UE5 to dynamically disable a specific emitter of a Niagara System for performance optimization reasons?

For example let’s say I have a fireball VFX and on low-end devices I want to fully disable only one of its 5 emitters, e.g. the one which spawns smoke clouds, so I get a better frame rate.

Is there maybe a way to link a user parameter to the main checkbox of an emitter?

Or is there a way to create instances of a Niagara System?

I assume parent emitters won’t help here, as I would end up with way too many emitter assets.

It would be possible to set the spawn rate of that emitter to 0 via a dynamic user parameter, but the emitter would then still run some logic, right?

Also I’d greatly appreciate any pointers to good resources about VFX performance optimization in Unreal, since I’ve recently switched from Unity to UE5. :pray:

I remember there is a scalability setting in Niagara system that allows you to set different spawn rates and other parameters for different target platforms.

1 Like

Heres the doc you need to read into:

https://dev.epicgames.com/community/learning/knowledge-base/LJnb/unreal-engine-niagara-scalability-effect-types

1 Like