Beam tangent smooth Lerp?

Hello!

I’ve been trying to figure something out, and well I haven’t been able to come up with a solution. I’m here asking for help :smiley:, if anyone has any insight for how to solve my current situation.

I have a dynamic beam emitter in Niagara. Currently, I have tangents being multiplied by a normalized vector, and this vector is the “Engine (Owner) Velocity”. Currently, it works, but I can’t for the life of me figure out a way to get it to be smooth.

Does anyone know how I could add a Lerp to this, and have it be a smooth transition, instead of it just chopping to another vector position?

I have a picture of the tangent setup, as well as a video for context. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!
Here is a video of it working

You could create another vector (VelocityPrevious or smth like that), and then lerp over time between the previous and the current velocity. Then set that as the new previous velocity. And that one you use in your beam tangent.
Then, depending on how fast you lerp over time in your lerp, it should make the tangents more or less stiff.

2 Likes