AlexanderVFX - Sketchbook

Hey everyone!

After some time of looking at everyone’s great work on this forum I decided to make my own sketchbook to show my work. I’ve been playing with FX in UE4 on and off for a little bit but recently I’ve started doing it more consistently and I really love it.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated and feel free to ask any questions. :slight_smile:

This first effect is just a simple torch fire

Here is an ice barrier/shield effect I’ve been working on - I was thinking for a third person game. I just wanted to try to make something more complex and with the use of meshes. It was a lot of fun to do and there are still some things I have to fix, mainly the ground mesh breaking in the middle (can be seen towards the end of the effect).

Just a close up of the effect above, to show the material

Thanks a lot for looking,
-Alexander

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post a gif of an effect I’m working on right now - healing aura spell. It’s still early wip :slight_smile: Planning on adding a bit more life to the ground texture as well as the ending - feels a bit stiff the way the particles just goes up right now.

https://imgur.com/7PT2iHf

-Alexander I

3 Likes

Hi all,

Here is a wip update for the effect above. I wasn’t really happy with it overall so decided to rework it. Made it more graphic and stylized. I’m more happy with it now, might tweak some timing things etc at the end though. Any feedback is always more than welcome :slight_smile:

com-optimize

Here is a youtube link if anyone prefers;

-Alexander

3 Likes

Hey all,

Just one last update for this effect, I think it’s final for now. From the previous version I ended up pushing the floating particles out to the ring as well as heavily decreasing the amount of particles in the middle - before it was just too noisy. I also added some more life to the glowy element around the ring and softened the rotating ring texture a touch. Lastly, I reduced the amount of bursting particles in the beginning as well as changed the timing a little at the end. This was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. Now onto something else. :slight_smile:

Here is a Youtube link if anyone prefers;

-Alexander

4 Likes

Awesome work! It was great seeing how your effect progressed! I love the end result, it feels really glowy and full of life.

Hi Beardilocks,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

-Alexander

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post a WIP of what I’m currently working on - void/shadow magic-like attack spell. The impact part of the effect is just a placeholder for now, going to start working up that area next. Besides that I’m thinking of painting a few more frames for the flipbook that’s used in the beginning - feels a bit jittery (even when not a compressed GIF, hah). Also maybe add some break up to the trail as well as testing some other stuff.

Any feedback is as always more than welcome. :slight_smile:

com-optimize

Thanks a lot for looking
-Alexander

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post an update on this effect. I think it’s final for now. I might go back next week and tweak a few things but overall I’m happy with it :slight_smile: I ended up playing around with the contrast and colour a lot to make it more readable, feel more punchy, and just make it less boring colorwise. I did some minor tweaks to the spawn flipbook to smooth out some jittery parts as well. Feedback is always more than welcome :slight_smile:

https://imgur.com/BSIcJ07

-Alexander

3 Likes

Hey everyone,

Long time no post!

I haven’t done any realtime VFX since my last post but I started playing around with it again a couple of days ago because I really missed doing it.

Below is a wip of an effect I started working on, to try and see what I remember and just to get going again. It’s a poison AoE effect. Having a lot of fun with this one, though I’m not super happy with the beginning of it - still trying to figure out how to make it nicer. :slight_smile:

The awesome ground texture I got from “VFX Apprentice” course, which I am currently going through - their tutorials are great.

Thanks for looking,
-Alexander

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update with the final version of this effect. I ended changing the timing a little bit, added a short lived impact element, added a mesh jaw that opens and just some general tweaks. Had a lot of fun with this one. Feedback is always more than welcome.

Thanks for looking :slight_smile:
-Alexander

Youtube link:

Hello,

Started working on this water shield effect a couple of days ago and wanted to share an early wip:)
Still have a lot left to do, fixing timing/textures, investigate why I have a hard edge on the shield (texture is tileable), fix the fade out and just generally work it up.

Feedback is always more than welcome.

Thanks for looking :slight_smile:
-Alexander

1 Like