WIP - Portal effect

Hello!
It’s been a while sins I posted so I thought I would show a bit of what I’ve been up to!
I am creating some “magic” inspired stylized effects.

This is a WIP portal effect I have been playing aruond with:
ezgif-7-1444c7df83d1

This is what it looks like without the mesh:
ezgif-7-7f7fdc2e8aeb

This is the crystal effect by itself:
(It’s just a plane broken up and UV’s messed around with, while adding a nice panning texture over it.)
ezgif-7-3b71e180815d

Any feedback is welcome!

4 Likes

Hello!

I don’t know if you’re still working on this, but I just found it!

The motion you’ve created really sells a “calm and inviting” ambient effect. If that’s the direction you’re planning, here are my two cents:

• Slowing down the trails and adding a little bit of noise to their paths could make the effect look calmer
  • A tiny bit of angular rotation to your circular plane might help it blend in with the prevailing, clockwise motion of the portal. The uv panning will probably still back-track the direction once in a while, but it’s worth trying!
  • Giving some clockwise orbital rotation to the sparkles could also help unify the motion

As an alternative to point 2, you could try setting up UV rotation, instead of panning. There’s a good discussion of the shader math required on the Unity forums . If you’re using a node based shader editor, they usually have a “Rotation” node that will do the math for you!

I still have a lot to learn, so take the above with a grain of salt.