What do you want to learn this year?

I really need to work on my timing and if I can further my stylized vfx too that would be great.

I begun work on an effect like this trail a little while ago. What it appears to be is a simple ribbon emitter (Trail renderer in Unity) with a fancy shader for the smoke.
I suspect the shader is simply world projected UVs and a series of panning textures to give it volume.

Good luck :slight_smile:

That’s really cool!! I have little knowledge of after effects aside from the off tinkering, but it’s always SO COOL to see other FX uses for it. I’ll have to try this out and see what I get :open_mouth:

Would be glad to help you, I hope that you can make a map that oneself like,Good luck

Got inspired by your post and made a simple patterngenerator for this purpose.

16 Likes

This is freaking SO COOL!!! :smiley: Nice job man.

1 Like

wow! It’s easier than mine.What is this software?

I would love to do a space explosion soon, kind of Super Nova. This will be the first time experience to have a go at it. My inspiration is Eve Online.

It’s a quick setup in Houdini. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Uhh, i like it! Somehow seeing you fiddle with the values makes we wanna make an environment out of this. These are like moving platforms.

Houdini seems so magical :cry:

Well, this asset should work inside of unreal so you could generate your islands right there in the engine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

in a big delay, but I would like in this year to improve my shader programming skills. and also I want to learn how to program my own graphics engine. that said I want to become a professional graphics engineer. so I guess im doing visual effects from the technical side of the scalar and not much from the art. So when I work on shaders I want to practice my artistic side for a better look development and original ideas. Im not good in making artistic textures but I do want to improve my timing and setups when I work with particle systems.

happy new year all!

This software is too difficult, I have not learned, so only with Max and After Effects

For me, this year will be all about Houdini and programming. I’ve been doing nightly tutorials with Houdini for a month and I feel like I’m starting to get a feel for it. Programming is something I already do a lot but I want to contribute to some open source projects and transition into software engineering in the next 2 - 3 years.

2 Likes

Welp, bailed on substance designer because work has been too focused on tools.
Got a little bit into Houdini and ended up working with a Neural renderer instead.
So, I’m back to wanting to do more Houdini this year.

Our tools at work have come a LONG way. I’m pretty amazed at what we’re doing and what we expect to do. The linkage between game and vfx is getting stronger.

As of this moment, I’m really interested in learning “traditional / hand drawn” effects. I’d like to achieve something similar to SmearKees VFX Adventure - #8 by SmearKees.

I’m about to finish reading my way through “Elemental Magic Volume 1” by Joseph Gilland. I couldn’t help but begin sketching things on my own.

Really hyped to see what I’m capable of! :crayon:

4 Likes

That’s awesome man! I wish you the best and if you want any feedback you can contact me :smiley:

1 Like

My goal was to learn FumeFX better, and then I touched Houdini, and the only thing I learned last year was just how much I hate Max. Not sure if I’ll get around to learning too much new stuff base on workload this year, but it’ll definitely be 2d hand animated fx

What I want to achieve is a nice portfolio that contains a mixture of my 2D and 3D vfx, with also showing a solid technical understanding as this is one of my flaws.

Would be awesome to have a dedicated VFX job this year but I dont have any set time restrictions for myself :slight_smile: