VaxKun's Sketchbook

Lil sneak peek of something ive started today, i enjoy recieveing feedback but the 70% of things i make has an NDA xd.
There are a LOT of things left but i wanted to share it xddd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVJLLP5vOBY
(GIF)

she dont actually shoot right now tho

SO, ive been working a bit on this effect : D
First of all, ive modified the zelda transformation and the arrow appear/appearance.
Now it shoots!
Made the environment with some nice stylized trees, grass and grass.
Added postprocessing, darkening of the scene… and few more things

Still a WIP, the explosion sphere has only a fresnel and i want to work more on it and in more things like the pre-explosion flares : S
Made a nice memetastic end :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Gif fixed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A lot since my last post here, bc i was just wipping my way on twitter, and its crappy compressed videos, but i feel like i gotta post some sauces here ^^

Also big rip to the gif compression lol

2 Likes

Oh my god those trails back theeeere! :star_struck:

How did you do that!?
I’ve been reading Shannon McSheehan posts and managed to draw a good texture, but the shader part is a pain!

:star_struck: Love It!
Can you go over how you made those too?

Love the cracks!
I’m definitely watching the tutorial anytime soon!

Overall my trails shader its a whole changed to add soulercoaster features, rotations so it can be used on other meshes with different UVs and so. But the base idea is the same, the erosion base.

I dont know if its way upper because the shannon post is quite large, but i think ive started looking on to that kind of trails since this post:

That shader is from Amplify editor, but it can be easily made on Unreal/ShaderGraph/ShaderForge/RawText…

Then, the next most important thing for me, its to play around with the trail texture and the erosion texture.
(If my mind doesnt betray me, on the last trail gif, the first, third and fourth trails, had the same trail texture, simply played with another erosion texture and a bit with the values to get other results)

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! :smiley:

Oh yeah, Shannon’s post is huge and it’s as awesome as it is long!

About the shader you linked, I tried to replicate it but got confused on this part in green:

I’m not even sure if this is only sensible to the project of the person who posted this, or if I should try to replicate entirely. Anyway, would you know what are the equivalents of those in green on Unity Shader Graph?

Oh yeah, on the green left box:
The orange-yellow ish node is just the UV node, note that in Shader graph u will need to use split in order to use the X channel (The U on Amplify). So you will end with a simple gradient through the UVs for the base of the eroded trail.

Based on that idea, on the same left green box, the red node is the Vertex color (same on ShaderGraph), it suggests you to use the Alpha channel, so you can control the erosion position if you are using the material on a particle system and want to modify that erosion position through the color over lifetime gradient.

And for the right green box.
All the green nodes are float nodes in shader graph. Three of them are just a constant number (Zero, One and Negative(-1)), and the other one is a float, but on shader graph is a Slider node, its the same, the only change is that you can slide to one number to another in the editor.

And for the multiply node, it multiplies the dissolve Softness by -1 to make Dissolve softness negative. Normally this kind of things on scripts are modified by values between 0 and 1. Thats why the developer should have decided to go with a positive for dissolve and then made it negative.

BUT, the better way to understand this things is to try them, so go ahead and test it yourself ^^

Have a good day!

1 Like

Hey, Vax! I think I did it :star_struck:

Though I have to work on a better noise texture for the erosion hehe :sweat_smile:

Big thanks for everything, specially for translating that stuff for me, it was crucial.
I wish you a wonderful night!