Sven Majerus - VFX Sketchbook

Hey guys :smiley: ,
I thought I take a step back from doing specific League VFX since I saw a concept from Daniélle Viljoen that I really liked so I wanted to try that out.

I was especially interested on creating the shader for the effect so thats the first thing I went ahead with. Here is how it turned out:

ezgif-5-b155b122d7

Next thing I’m tackling is making a proper hand mesh and do the animation for that since I might have to tweak the material to fit the animation better.
As always, feel free to criticize or give feedback :smiley:

29 Likes

This grabbed my attention.

#sorrynotsorry :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I love ppl drawing concept before actually making fx. My case I can’t draw so I just straight forward imagine how it looks like and make the hell out of it :smiley:

1 Like

Hey guys :smiley:
I know I said I’d work on the mesh and animation but time was tight so I continued the work on the watery sword slash instead :stuck_out_tongue:

ezgif-4-973651aa1d

I’m not 100% set on the way the water dissolves yet but I think I have a solid base to work with.

Let me know what you guys think :smiley:

18 Likes

:star_struck: Awesomeeeeeee :star_struck:
It’s so gentle :slight_smile:

1 Like

I finally got some time again and worked further on the water VFX… I wanted to see how the shader would look like in a slash VFX so I went ahead and created one :smiley: This is the result:

ezgif-3-459c4d4a93

I still think there is room for improvement, so if you guys have any suggestions, feel free to give feedback :slight_smile:

9 Likes

is very cool,

the feedback for improvement is staging elements/ overlap.

e.g. lingering the highlight strokes more and perhaps some more noticeable pan independence.

either a secondary mesh , or adjustments to shader but …imho draw out the highlight fade : give it more independence exaggerate your smoothstepping, let it linger more maybe add some distortion or possible change the tiling so that it stretches out as it pans

here was an initial paint over, but I think even i could have pushed the stretching-out like taffy, more

6 Likes

This is a really nice shader!

1 Like

Hey Torbach, thank you for the feedback. That is super good advice and I will definitely try to implement that. Thank you also for the overdraw, this really helps a lot to understand what you mean :smiley:

I used the time today to add more layering to the VFX as Torbach suggested. I seperated the white lines and the blue water and made the lines erode and get thinner towards the end. This also allowed me to erode the blue water with a gradient, leaving only the white foam and the drops. I also quite liked the hard edged style it has, so I kept that in. Heres how it turned out.

ezgif-5-8ab4da69df

As always, feel free to give feedback and let me know what you think :smiley:

29 Likes

Hey guys. It’s been a while :sweat_smile:
I finally got time again to work on some more FX and shader related stuff and to start off, I wanted to recreate this Poke Bubble Effect from YT in UE5.
This is what I came up with

ezgif-2-1b84284a7e

The most interesting part of this effect for me was how to get the twirled UV’s… I didn’t want to use a flowmap so I took a closer look at the math behind Unity’s Twirl Node (which thankfully is in their documentation) and then recreated the node in Unreal.

Since I have some time now again to work on stuff like this, this thread is hopefully going to get updated more frequently again. :smile:

11 Likes

Hey guys :smile:
So I’ve finally been able to start the VFX Apprentice All Access course which I’m super excited about and cant wait to dive even deeper into VFX.
To celebrate and to start of simple, I tried recreating the new version of the World of Warcraft portals in the portal chamber (Original by Ethan Zink https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9ekrPQ)

ezgif-3-601cc0675c

The gif is quite low res so here’s video:

I had a lot of fun recreating this and got some awesome feedback in the VFXA Discord Channel.
Feel free to leave some feedback or general thoughts :smiley:

7 Likes

can I have a breakdown please!?

Hey Jack_o… sorry for the late reply… been super busy the last days and that will still be the case which means that currently, I dont really have the time to make a breakdown of this effect. Since I’m currently on the job hunt, I need to focus my time on getting my portfolio up to speed

1 Like

Talking about portfolio, yesterday I finished this piece. It was inspired by Daniil Tolmachov’ concepts and gave me the perfect opportunity to test out the new Unreal 5 AnimToTexture Plugin.

Laughin Skull VFX

ezgif-5-0bdc958109

Like mentioned, for this I created the animations in Blender on a standard skeletal mesh, nothing too fancy. In Unreal I converted the skeletal mesh into a static mesh with the UV’s properly set up for vertex animation and converted the animation into Vertex Animation Textures which allowed me to have animated skeletal meshes:

The outline effect is the typical hull effect as known by many others. I basically duplicated the mesh, flipped the normals and scaled the mesh negatively along the Vertex Normals.

Hope you like it :smiley:

10 Likes

I finished this piece yesterday. It’s a cyber projectile based on my own concept :smiley:

projectile

Funny enough, this is also the first time I did a concept for anything xD

Here are the separate parts:

windup

hit

I hope you like it ^^

19 Likes

Looking good ! Well done :grin:

1 Like

I love it! Really gives me Transistor vibes :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey guys, long time no update. I found some time again to work on a portfolio piece, so here it is:

Holograffiti Bomb

The piece is inspired by this concept of Geoffrey Amesse:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/49zARq

This is the post process shader I created to get the chromatic abberation effect. Pretty straightforward stuff actually. It uses a noise texture to determine when the different RGB channels of the final image should be pushed or pulled

And here’s another important shader I used for most of my sprites:

It’s essentially just a step panning anisotropic noise texture that is distorting the sprite.

I hope you like it :smile:

3 Likes

Hey guys, here’s the latest VFX I worked on:

Dark Matter Beam VFX

This piece is inspired by the awesome concept of LiuYongJie

There’s nothing really fancy shader wise to show this time, this work’s main focus was to do the concept justice and to work on on the timing from build-up to beam blast.

7 Likes