Starting with VFX and struggling

This summer, after my first year of university, I decided that I would become a Real-Time FX artist. So I asked around for suggestions and stumbled upon Vince Petrelli’s course, “Unreal Engine 5: One Course Solution For Niagara VFX.” I loved the course and started looking around and learning the basics.

Now I’ve started a course with VFX Apprentice, and I am asking myself if I am rushing things and not learning properly. When it comes to Niagara, I pretty much know the basics by now, but when it comes to getting deeper into it, I start getting lost. I get distracted quickly, I forget things, and I ask myself if I am actually learning.

I want to learn as much as possible before I start university again this September, as I know they will not really focus on this discipline, so I am doing my best to learn as much as possible.

But how do I know if I am doing the right thing? If I am on the right path? If all the “learning” is actually entering my brain…

3 Likes

I’m going to be really honest, to be a VFX Artist is to know a lot of things at the same time, not only the engine you work with, you also have to know 3D, drawing, animation, optimization, etc.

But for me is the most creative part of videogames, I started like you, without knowing anything and hitting the wall many times, but it is normal, do not try to learn everything so fast, this discipline needs time and love, my recommendation is that you focus on the basics, do not try to make an explosion, start first by the fire, little by little you will understand everything, you will get frustrated and it is normal, but if you really like it keep working.

1 Like

Thank you very much I really needed this.

1 Like

Hi! I hope you are doing alright.

I can relate with that, I decided to make a change in my career about a year ago, and I have been studying vfx since then. It’s a lot to take in for sure, but I find it very rewarding to solve problems.

What I can suggest if you are losing focus, is to write notes (pen and paper) on key points of your study, and also to check in milestones. It helps a lot with organization and to visually see where you are at the moment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I appreciate it, I did use pen and paper when it comes to taking notes etc. However I did not think if using key points. It is something that I am deffo gonna start doing!!
Thank you for the advice

I have been learning VFX since this May (I got no educational background on programming or 3D, I’m a Science Graduate trying new stuff ^^ ) , courses I took was from Udemy made by Gabriel and nothing more because I cannot afford bootcamp courses so I just took a hold on with YouTube, Articles, Twitch Streamers, Discord servers of various FX studios etc, asking and trying to learn as much I could.

It is hard but also fun if you focus on techniques. Most of my days are simply “Imagination = Result - techniques” (if you understand what I mean :slight_smile:). My approach is trying to learn techniques and workflow behind all the common effects we see in games and progressing from there. I also feel a Strong foundation developing with my node Based Texture making, Photoshop, using different math operations, getting new angles to try and learning Scripts to bring all the pieces of VFX together.

To sum up, it would be great to have good courses that takes you to the right path of chronological practices. I decided to try out Ureal FX course offered by Coloso (fairly a cheap price and Subjects they cover through are good to start, its mainly the workflow). Also to keep things always Interesting and engaging enough, try to replicate the FX from your favorite Video Games, of course you will hit a huge roadblock of different disciplines, but worry not, at the least you got to know how things are made, need not to be perfect but the amount of understanding you develop is more practical.

Hope my view helps, please feel free to share any material or Stories, Goodluck :+1:

1 Like

First of all thank you for sharing your experience!!
I never really thought of trying to recreate an effect that I like in videogames, so I will surely try to do so!
I have see the Coloso courses a couple weeks back but I ad doubts about getting one as I saw reviews about the customer service and the laggy videos. How is that experience going for u? I am curious to know if it is actually good.

Going from science to FX must have been a heavy jump :hushed:, hope it goes alright for u too!

I will soon be trying to create something of my own, hopefully before university starts again.