Snow Help for a multiplayer game [UE4]

Hi All,

So I am looking into making some snow particles to fall in a level for a multiplayer shooter game. Initially I figured it would just be a case of creating a giant emitter over the level that then produces snow particles, but I am wondering if that would be too expensive or whether there is better way of going about it.

How would you guys do this? This is something I haven’t done before, so wondering if I am over thinking it, or whether some technical trickery is needed to have as little impact on performance as possible (as the level is rather large)

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks all :slight_smile:

Maybe you can create a emitter which follow the player, and make it visible only for the player.
Create one emitter for the entire level it’s definitely too expensive :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was wondering if something like this was possible. However, the game is quite fast so I was worried that snow may look too scarce if the player is moving fast and too heavy if they are sitting still. I had a look through the modules in UE4 and I can;t see a way of changing spawn rate based on parent velocity. Do you know if that is possible or is that something I would have to have controlled via blueprint?

You can try to make a particle parameter for the spawn rate and try to change it with the velocity of your player.
I don’t know if it’s easy or not, it’s been a very long time since I didn’t worked on Unreal :x

the spawn per unit module is what you need.

1 Like