1 Like
  • played around with shapes and started shading

8 Likes
  • added some shading / motion blur
  • first test with color

15 Likes

Oh god, Simon you are on fire <3

1 Like

Small sub surface scattering test. I’ve started painting stuff like this but it might be wrong.

Quick check with Houdini. I think it’s clear now, that the smoke should only get brighter where it’s “thinner” and keeps being dark at the back (at least if the smoke fills a volume and is not “hollow”).

houdinifx_2021-05-17_12-18-21

houdinifx_2021-05-17_12-18-57

houdinifx_2021-05-17_12-19-24

houdinifx_2021-05-17_12-20-18

4 Likes

calling it finished. i’ll switch to the next concept now :slight_smile:

36 Likes

Beautiful! Would love to see that in motion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you! i guess my 3d version will be way simpler :smiley:

1 Like

first sketches for the lightning concept:

6 Likes

new (this time rounder) shapes:

5 Likes
  • experiment with adding volume to the lighting instead of having it flat

9 Likes

some new shapes. not sure what direction to take. 10/11 are almost a bit too smoky for me. 12 is not as interesting but resembles lightning better for me. hm…

5 Likes

As usual - good job) Love your dedication to the subject) There’s an awesome artist Adam Philips , i used to take his fx course long time ago ( BiteyCastle - BCAFX Course ) and there was a section relating lightings…some of the good tricks were :

• Chromatic abberations ( like a spectral aura ) on the sides of the lighting : it kinda adds a bit of volume to it
  • Mass transitions : if effect lasts more then 1 frame, you may want to control it by adding a moving highlight , so that the viewer’s eye could track some kind of motion…kind of)
    Screen capture - 13d63fb76598deb340008f50854a1b32 - Gyazo
2 Likes

wow, thank you for the tips! i’ll check this fx course! <3 (but i can’t find the free portion of the course, maybe it’s a bit hidden in the menus?)

Hm…you have to go to “FX Course” and then register there (https://bitey.com/dashboard/) once you’re done you’ll see those…or am i missing smth.Sorry, maybe i’ve forgotten smth…i actually found it back in 2013 or smth. , maybe it’s different nowadays.

Some good refs : https://youtu.be/C1HrcNgTDe4

for getting an account you have to pay first as far as i see it. you can ask for a remboursement of the money after the first month but i think that’s not cool :smiley:

rough sketch. this time a bit less straight but also not too “smoky”. also i tried adding more different values.

3 Likes

worked further on the base shapes for my ligthning

new version with more directionality:

4 Likes

:zap:new lightning version :zap:

4 Likes

The secondary lightning arc / strike is a very nice detail :+1: :star_struck:

Is the color intended to be the primary color of the effect or just for separating the layers in this preview?

In image 12 and 14 I really like the contrast the dark parts introduced as well. In isolation like this I believe it enhances the effect nicely, maybe you could bring that back in?. However I see how too many brightness levels might make the effect harder to read if the effect would be placed in a scene with 20 other things going on.