Simon Trümpler - VFX Sketchbook

Thread-Thumbnail-Image:
ezgif.com-optimize2

Hi guys,

I’ll drop some stuff here. Feel free to comment, criticize, ask, or whatever you want. :slight_smile:

Just tried around a little bit with a 2D-LUT and an Explosion Flipbook generated by "Effect Texture Maker" Website

The LUT (Look Up Table) is 2D so that can color-map the gray scale explosion texture (left to right) and also change the color over time. This stuff is detailed described here: Fallout 4 – The Mushroom Case | Simon schreibt.

https://i.imgur.com/ZAZE1Fh.gif

I spawn 10 particles with the flipbook (64 frames) with different sizes, rotation and lifetimes.

82 Likes

Motivated by this tweet I thought about a simple solution to have some raindrops appear and then slowly fade-out. Here is what I came up with.

R contains a drop-pattern from substance and to this I add values from 0-1 over time. The frac-node makes, that a color gets 0.0 again, after it surpass 1.0. A mask is necessary to avoid artifacts at the edges of the drops (created by anti-aliasing) and also I don’t want that the black background changes color. Here is the texture:

Yes @Luos_83, I exchanged clamp with saturate :wink:

4 Likes

Good. If you have access, the shockwave effect in Andreas Glad’s tutorial really adds impact.

For example:
http://www.conceptualinertia.net/aoakenfo/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/explosion_first_pass_360.gif

1 Like

Thanks! You’re right - this gives it an awesome force. I wonder, imagine you work with an engine which is not capable of distortion like this, how would you work around that?
If course, we could use a circular shape and use this as a subtle shockwave, but this gives it pretty quick a kind of stylized look … do you know what I mean?

1 Like

Do you have access to some sort of radial blur?
I guess not…
Can you read the pixels colour in a material? If yes maybe you can output that and tweak it? (I’m thinking destColour in UE3, which I guess is SceneColor in UE4)

And then if you can only use diffuse / additive, rather than a than circular shape I’d go for streaks as you would get from a radial blur effect in photoshop, so the elements look projected outwards from the centre. And if you do that with something that looks sandy or dusty than you’re not looking too stylized.

1 Like

I’m preparing a little class and I’m outlining some effects for it. My goal is to have them interactive (effects start based on distance to player) to teach, that implementation is a big part (at least i always had/wanted to implement the effects myself to test under real circumstances.

It’s super rough and not much can be seen but I’m very open for your ideas what elements should/could be added :slight_smile:

Candles

I would like to show off:

• Show UV-Distortion (flame)
  • Ribbons (Smoke)
  • Importance of anticipation (blink before flame goes on) respectively making clear that there was a state-change

https://imgur.com/Oh5MyZF

Moving Cube

• Example for Squash/Stretch (Cube)
  • Connecting/Time effects with animation
  • Movement-Indicators to show off force/strengths (smoke on ground, sparkles, …)
  • Can be a nice example to show off smoke. Maybe even different smoke-types (stylized like in Rime, traditional alpha8-smoke, hand-painted flipbooks, …)

17 Likes

participating a little bit on inktober and using the topic to practice a bit vfx

16 Likes

Another try to draw a bit traditional VFX. The inktober topic was “clock”.

8 Likes

Inktober Day 20 Topic: Breakable

Breakable

6 Likes

Inktober Day 28. Topic: Gift

1 Like

Using #huevember to practice more traditional vfx. Color of day 4 is orange and I combine it with Inktober2018 topic “spell” from last month.

2018_huevember_spell_cut

9 Likes

I’ve extended my 80lv article and released it on my blog. It’s about a procedural river using houdini in Unreal Engine.

Read: River 2k19 Edition | Simon schreibt.
Watch:

5 Likes

I love the approach for this effect :D, the flash creates a good feeling of the fire starting.

By creating some contrast in the first few frames of the fire you can give it an extra feeling that the fire is “popping out” (if that is the right word for it haha). Down below is a little sketch, maybe it’s useful :smiley:

FlameTip

1 Like

Thanks man! That’s a great tip! Must try it out! Perfect example for the overshoot-animation-principle.

My contribution to the current running challenge.
Documented at artstation:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xyxzK

And there is the WIP thread from this forum:

22 Likes

i just want to say the trick about rendering flipbook at runtime is truely clever

some traditional vfx sketches:

sketch_explosion_03

sketch_explosion_04

sketch_explosion_02

Fx5

Fx828copy2928copy29

15 Likes

I tested the blender 2.8 grease pencil. really nice. i animated some 3d spheres to be sure it looks and then you can paint on the surface of them as a base - with that you get a nice volume.

sketch_smoke_01

14 Likes

Excellent, i was playing with blender yesterday too !

1 Like

Small update:
https://imgur.com/PjPTk3F

21 Likes