Simon Trümpler: Sketch #20 WIP

eh doesn’t seem to work as each emitter ends up being a unique instance of the material. Having one talk to the other doesn’t appear to work directly through the particle system editor - you still need to pass the cutout particles as a texture :frowning:.

In hidnsight it is painfully obvious that this wouldn’t have worked haha.

Although this might be a solution: https://forum.unity.com/threads/use-particles-as-mask-for-other-particles.589240/

Thanks for testing @mulletdulla!

sketch20_07a_face

Here is a little update. As I wrap everything up I prepare some videos which show the system a bit in detail. Do you guys understand everything I try to demonstrate?

Overview

*Loopable

Layers of the particle system

4 Likes

On another quick note for Unity users - you can control the emission spread of particles across a shape with a mask texture.

In @simonschreibt 's example you are pushing yours either right or left immediately the get the spacing?

Theres mor you can do with the clip channel too so have a play with it if you haven’t yet!

I will stop hijacking now :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Nooo, continue please! That’s amazing information! I was using a kill-area to avoid particles in the middle. amazing to see that unity can do this based on a ramp. Might be possible in Unreal Niagara too. But I didn’t try this yet.

Tried around moving the flame along a spline via blueprint. Also created an art station post about this little project:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xyxzK

sketch20_07a_followSpline_previe

11 Likes

idk about niagara, but you could cut away one particle system with another in cascade.

I posted some stuff on this before so i’ll just link it.

Oh! I didn’t think about custom depth - you’re right! Thank you so much for the hint and breakdown <3 I need to check this out!

1 Like

Very cool Simon ! This is amazing :smiley:

I wish I could like this one multiple times. The projectiles are gorgeous !

I don’t quiet understand what you wish for. :smiley:

Added some final touches (a gradient from top to bottom, sparkles, auras) and I think that will be almost the final result. Need to keep an eye on the contrast but I think the gradient adds nice variety :slight_smile:

sketch20_08a

It’s a bit hard to see but the auras of blue & green are as stylized as the little flame itself:

sketch20_08b

12 Likes

Re-worked the contrast within the little flames a bit:

sketch20_08d_followSpline_preview

sketch20_08c_preview

High-Res:

10 Likes

Great work, man. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Loooove the pixel shader! :blush::+1:

@bgolus suggested on twitter to move the pixel-sparkles on a grid (https://twitter.com/bgolus/status/1098991662708060160). Here’s my first test of quantize particle positions:

sketch20_08e_quantize

The size of the particles is 10.0 in this example.

9 Likes

I’m going to use a lot of this to revisit my Arcade Ashe fan skin fx :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I’ve create a little tutorial about how to use blueprints to render flip books at runtime:

And in case some one needs the project files: Dropbox - File Deleted

14 Likes

This is amazing! I was hoping for a tutorial on how you did this, Thank you very much!

1 Like

The link has expired, can you reissue it? Thank you!

Here you go: Dropbox - File Deleted

4 Likes