Simon Kratz: Sketch #28

And I actually managed to do a small folowup post breaking down a mesh trick I discovered during this project to get nice flowy surfaces with better density, normals and just overall lovely. Happy to share it with you guys:

13 Likes

This is great stuff! Congrats on the win and thank-you so much indeed for taking the time with the detailed breakdowns and sharing it with all of us. Posts like yours make it worthwhile being part of this community :slight_smile:

1 Like

These breakdowns are great. I was curious if there is a higher quality screenshot of the substance designer set up you used to create those textures? Can’t see much of the technical side from the noise breakdown

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile: And yeah, I get your point. I can see if I can somehow render a more high-rez version of the SD part out when I get a chance (the next few days).
It doesn’t contain a lot of secrets though, its really just some random noises but still happy to share the details :blush:

Here you go @EdwardLouis.

Tried to compress them on a single screen as best as possible and hope it helps you understand a bit whats going on :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Wow those are some great noise textures! Thank you for sharing!

One question I have, cause I can’t seem to see it well - how do you block the back? I also need to create a portal with a more 3D feel for a project and I understand the cylinder to make it look like it’s going in the Z axis, giving it volume, but I am having trouble blocking off the back to make it look more natural.

Hi @AntonDessov! Happy to hear the posts are useful to you! :slight_smile:
I don’t think I fully understand your question. In case you mean the technique to mke the portal effect only visible inside the gate, that’s done via stencil buffer which is basically a way of masking out pixels before they get drawn on the screen.
If I did get your question wrong, please elaborate a bit more so I can fully understand it :grin:

Thanks for the update! This viewing through the gate part is giving me a lot of trouble as well haha. Working on it through unreal 4 and just can’t figure it out.

Haha I’m afraid I can’t offer too much help there :sweat_smile: I’m not too experienced with Unreal. But if you check the tech behind stencil buffer you’ll probably get some good ideas on how to get started.

1 Like

What I meant was that, the portal looks great from that angle, but how does it look if you can look around it 360 degrees? That’s what I am struggling with in my project, cause there’s a portal appearing, but you can walk around it, so it’s not like something I can block off. And the inner part is what’s causing me problems, because to block it off, if I put a plane with an effect on it, it’s quite clear that it is a sprite and not a sort of 3D space thing xD But yours looks quite nice on the inside, so I wondered how it looks if you can see it from all angles

1 Like

Hey there! Now I see I think :smiley:
Does this answer your question?

4 Likes

Man I’m going to have to make the switch to unity. Nobody I talk to knows how to do that on ue4. Looks great!

1 Like

Thanks that’s exactly what I was wondering!

What magic did you use to mask out the mesh when looking from the side so that you don’t see it? :smiley: A programmer here suggested you used a dot product.

1 Like

This is so awesome, had a question about how you structured your effects in unity, there are obviously many ways to do this (shuriken, vfx graph, timeline, scripts etc.) but I am just curious how you did it?

Thanks!

1 Like

That’s the stencil buffer stuff I talked about earlier :grin: It works like a pixel mask you can use to determine if stuff gets rendered or not and basically I placed a “mask mesh” inside the gate ring with a shader that just writes stencil value and the tunnel behind it that checks for that value so it only gets rendered if you see it through the mask mesh.

2 Likes

Thanks and happy to explain! :slight_smile:
I used shuriken particle effects and a couple of animated materials, all timed together via timeline for presentation purposes.
It doesn’t use any scripts but currently I’m restructuring it a bit to work with just an animator setup and being toggle-able with just a single parameter. Will probably release it in the Asset Store afterwards to earn a bit of pocket money and people get a chance to check it out and even use it commercially. :grin:

2 Likes

I actually managed to recreate it in Unreal with the help of a programming buddy who explained to me what you did xD I really need to learn more vector math

1 Like

awesome, happy to hear! Would love to see the result once you’re fine with sharing :grin:

Yeah, here it is. I still have to work on the other parts of the effect, but the core is done at least. Maybe I’ll make a collection for the Epic Store if I have time, haha :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah nice to see, works really well! :smiley: