Sig - Sketch#50

Hey, Hovl! Thanks for coming by :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, it’s URP. I think Torbach recommended the same thing, but I couldn’t find the options to enable that :sweat_smile:

PS: Got carried away doing other stuff and forgot to reply hehe
PS2: One of the references I used is one of your effects, right? I really like your stuff!

Edit:
PS3: Would you have any orb explosion tutorial floating around? I’m knocking my head on the wall trying to come with up with something. Made some textures already but just don’t know what to do with them :frowning_face:
Tried many stuff on Unity but nothing really combined in a fashion way.

You can download my shaders and take a look how to make a depth: Support package for Hovl Studio assets | Utilities Tools | Unity Asset Store

1 Like

Oh, thanks for dropping it here!
I’ll take a look anytime :slight_smile:

Currently working on a new anticipation.

The orb I have live now uses the same texture and motion as in the climax, so it kinda spoils what is gonna happen…not cool.
I also plan to put something on the floor to give away the area of effect (I should have done it already!)

That’s the looks of what I have now:

I like it but…still feels off, way too 2D for me. I want to make it look like it’s is flowing on and around the orb, enveloping it.

I’m open to ideas on what to do with the orb in order to give a “energy gathering” vibe. I liked to size up/down over lifetime, but don’t want it to be the only thing going on with the orb during the anticipation.

PS: Should I bury this thread and open a Sketchbook? Or should I turn this into the Sketchbook itself?

• I’d recommend fast motion to add the panic of danger
  • most dimension and motion can be implied with 3 particle systems to create enough texture and motion that tricks the eye into thinking it is looking at something more complex than it really is - it doesn’t have to be a sphere and shader, (at least not when sketching and finding things to try)
  • the 3D trail shape you linked in bread-N-butter thread is a nice touch you can explore**

**I did a mock of the idea using a ring mesh throw into particle system with this texture

tests
orb_ideas_02

each is 3 particle system + ring trail**

1. middle glow
  2. ring halo
  3. texture ring

these are simple texture I had laying around, but the more complexity you put into the ring textures the more you can push the atmosphere

radial streaks, twirls or wisp shapes

more tests
edit changed up some of the properties because this is fun to noodle the ring pivots and get some more looks
orb_ideas_03

5 Likes