Sig - Sketch#50

hahaha I wish I had this “AHA!” moment too. Instead I’m here like :woozy_face: :dizzy_face:

well for sketches I don’t sweat TD needed for a real environment - ill just hack it cause it’s not for deploy

grey plane/unlit alpha (if needed drop the sorting -1)

What do you mean? English isn’t my mother language >.<

Unless necessary for portfolio, tackling sorting over geo effectively can cost a lot of time, not to mention it can be ad hoc (made for this 1 example)

VFX ability to sort in a game is largely a team effort; Many of our sketches are personal art… so in my opinion for time don’t try to behave like a comprehensive team.

-----unless sorting is a direct goal for the sketch and portfolio…sometimes optimization and comprehensive TD (technical direction) is part of the objective.

in your example the ability for a glow to go over the entire ground might be worth a quick trick rather than trying to work out a more optimal system.

These options are shown here.I think I still have to enable these options somewhere. I remember I downloaded it from a link you posted the other day, but got carried away and forgot to actually set this up hehe. Will do later.

Hmm I see. Like masking out part of the geo with a gradient?

not the geo sphere, that orb is fine

this line in the particle glow
because it just clips into the ground

another idea : add a glow horizontal only…trying to hide that break is a small touch that will help your pop moment, And if it is fast enough is satisfactory. like this

1 Like

Ohhh I was so into that hard edge the orb is making that I didn’t even notice this one hahaha. Indeed a big hard edge hehe.

Oooh good idea, will add now!

Update!

1 Like

this one can use the same technique
you could prob duplicate that same particle and set it horizontal.

1 Like

Update:

Am I crazy or the Pop suddenly got much better?!? I’m loving it!

2 Likes

Torbach, you’re the man!

Many thanks for helping me with all that stuff! I’m really liking it now <3 :star_struck:

I’m heading to bed now. Still gotta record the final version using a better recorder, but I’ll leave that for tomorrow. (later today - it’s almost 6am here in Brazil :dizzy_face:).
Do you know any free hq recorder? I’m completely unfamiliar with that stuff.

the added shockwaves help lead motion to sell the pop outward, nice touches

1 last thing about timing – consider gameplay

a build often indicates to players something is going to happen and it helps to keep that predictable like a heartrate…

1…2…3…B-BAM!
blast_anticipaction_02

or accelerating heartrate like a sneeze works too
1----2–3-ACHOO!
blast_anticipaction_03

for recording unity has a built-in package that can be installed (I haven’t tried it)
I use either
OBS and then compress with Handbrake <–for HD video
or
ScreenToGif <–most of the time I use this

2 Likes

Indeed the pop is way more “poppy” in these examples and you’re using only a few elements. Incredible how the base structure alone can deliver so much pop. Actually, it makes me think it’s all about that - a well timed base structure.

I tried to achieve that before posting the final version just now. Didn’t want to mess a lot with it because I didn’t know how the recording part would roll. Which…by the way, I had a little bit of trouble hahaha.

Managed to make the gifs, but didn’t upload them in time :pensive:
Anyway, I’m gonna upload a better version tonight.

here sig

i find neural network compression works a bit better for VFX animation
blast_anticipaction_04

(color distortion / artifacts around buildup surprisingly interesting :smiley: )

Yeaaah hahaah I even thought of adding this early when I started making the effect, but completely forgot! Will add on a later version for sure. I really liked it!

1 Like

New better quality GIF:

Edit: Still pretty bad actually :sweat_smile:

Is it URP? Try to add soft particles (depth) to your material. I will be better.

Youtube video with 3 different angles!

4 Likes

Looking great Sig, well done!

1 Like

Heey Gabriel!

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you!

1 Like