Scale infinite lifetime Ribbon width at start and end

Hello!
I’ve been using the beam emitter to make lasers, and I need it to be infinite, for that I put the option “Once” “Infinite” and changed the Particle State to remove “Kill particles”. However, I can’t figure out how to scale my beam at the beginning and the end of it, to not make it all straight-up cut like this… Changing the Scale Ribbon Width doesn’t change anything, I tried to change some emitter parameters like NormalizedAge, Age etc… But nothing seems to change. Does anyone have any idea how to scale a beam at its beginning and end please? :pray: :pensive:

settings

Hi! Take a look at the private messages, there you have the solution)

Not sure why this needs to be solved via private message, but the simple solution is to use Particles.RibbonLinkOrder provided by Spawn Beam module as your Curve Index.
In newer UE, official Niagara Beam emitter templates already do just that. Unfortunately those template is a bit outdated, so you may see a lot of warning messages in modules. Just click “fix issue” and you’re good to go.

Ah indeed your solution works ! For everyone to see : Using Return Normalized Exec Index at the CurveIndex works, also I didn’t have enough particles in my Spawn Count. Thank you !
Capture d'écran 2024-09-19 172243

1 Like

I think your solution works too but for some reason when I was changing the values of the curve my sprite were kind of… offsetting upwards ? and so cutting off the beam

It’s likely the ribbon doesn’t have any/enough subdivision along its UV.y, which will twist the mapping texture unnaturally when the polygon is deformed into non-parallelogram shape caused by non-uniform ribbon width. You can improve this by increasing the “width segmentation count” in your Ribbon Renderer.

1 Like

Ah indeed it also works now and I didn’t know of that very useful option !! Thank you very much ! :star_struck: