PopcornFX Question

Hi all,

I am currently evaluating popcornFX for use in a new project and I am hoping that someone here has used it before and can answer a basic question I can’t seem to figure out.
Is there a way to color remap a texture? I come from unity and it was a pretty simple shader to write that allowed me to use the same black and white texture and have a secondary ramp file that colored it over life.
something like the technique discussed here Fallout 4 – The Mushroom Case | Simon schreibt.
I can’t figure out how to get something like this to work in popcornFX, I found the alpharemap that does basically the same thing for the alpha channel but can’t figure out how to do it for the color.

Any help would be appreciated.

Danielle

Hey Leorana,
I just replied on the PopcornFX answerhub to your question, but just in case, here it is again:

Not with the base shaders available in the editor.

However, when you bring your effect in the final game engine, you can override that with any custom shader you like.

For instance, if you’re using Unreal4 with the PopcornFX plugin, when importing the effect, you can override any of the shaders with custom ones, so you can use this color-remap logic in an Unreal4 shader and bind it to the appropriate renderers in your effect.

If you’re using an in-house engine, you’ll have to see this with your graphics programmers, as it might depend on how they did the rendering integration.

Customizable shaders will be exposed in the PopcornFX v2.0 editor, but there’s currently no plan to add this to the v1 editor.

It can sound painful to have to make back & forths betweeen UE4 and the popcorn editor to see how the effect actually looks like when tweaking it, but in practise it shouldn’t be that bad, the UE4 plugin can quickly hot-reimport the asset so you can have the two running side-by-side. Agreed, that’s not ideal, that’s one of the reasons we made all shaders customizable in the upcoming v2.0 :slight_smile:

If you want to discuss this more in depth, we might be able to work something out depending on your project’s needs. You can send us a mail at support at popcornfx dot com.