Peters: Embergen Challenge

Hey all! I’m super excited about this challenge and looking forward to start and learn something new! :slight_smile:

Final submission:

Current WIP:

exp_005_small

28 Likes

I started watching some movie trailers and I found I really love dynamic shots like in Topgun or We Were Soldiers. I did quick blocking and I hope that now I will start playing with EmberGen :slight_smile:

Stay tuned for first tests with EmberGen!

4 Likes

So far my fav reference in terms of explosion on desert

https://youtu.be/YAg_jqthRY4?t=36

I started working and learning more about emberGen, did few explosion tests, still need a lot of work but I’m super excited of getting something already :slight_smile:

For next step I will try to match more refs, clean things and start rendering some of these into flipbooks and work on fx setup in ue4.

2 Likes

First test in ue4, still working on my flipbooks. This was done pretty fast. This I will try to fix timing and work on particle setup.

3 Likes

Some updates from today. Decided to learn Niagara and soon I will start adding more elements, shockwaves, debris, trails etc.

This shot is going to be pretty interesting :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Its amazing job, i need help and maybe you can help me, im newbie user unreal engine and i cannot stop a flipbook and i will try inizialize with a model animation but i dont have any idea. You Can help me? Thanks a lot.

Going to be a cool dynamic shot indeed! How did you do the background/level assets?

Thanks! I’m using Houdini for generating a Heightfield terrain with Houdini Engine to load .hda into Unreal and setup everything. Hires rocks, foliage and textures coming from Quixel Megascans. Scatter is pretty random, maybe if I will save some time later when my explosion is ready I add some complexity into it.

1 Like

Thank you. If I understand correctly you can do this in many ways. In these two shots I posted I’m triggering explosion in Sequencer. I recommend watching some basic introduction into Sequencer. It’s very easy to create a track for Niagara/Cascade system and then load any component you want to activate.

I’m also pretty new to ue4 :slight_smile: there is no end with exploration new things, ideas and concepts.

1 Like

Very nice man, thanks for the answer. I just got into using the Quixel assets in Unreal, defo gonna try to generate a height field now too

I was struggling a bit with motion vectors, currently finally moving to work on all aspects of explosion :wink:
this is never going to be that slow :slight_smile:

edit: probably I will run another test with reduced flipbook frame range

2 Likes

BOOM!

3 Likes

Today I had some time to start working on additional elements like flying barrels and stones, for now just for timing. For next step I will focus on smoke trails and dust maybe even tiny shockwave element.

better quality:
https://youtu.be/jLjaB2YNDZI

5 Likes

Cut to slow mo. :wink:

You are the contender so far in my eyes mate, wicked stuff :smiley:

1 Like

Haha, thanks! Great idea to try with slow mo! :smiley:

Currently I was having some issues and still need to work on some issues but slowly I’m trying to get there. Probably this week I will rework on shader and then move to other elements.

Anyway I have so much fun working on it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Fixed few more issues, later I will start polishing additional elements.

https://youtu.be/UfFMrrDi7Fc

4 Likes

Today I had some time to fix issues in my project and block trail element.

12 Likes

Love what you’ve produced already - everything looks great to me, except I think some of the smoke should stick around longer. I always find fireworks smoke stays around at low density for quite some time, maybe settling to earth with yours would be a good end to the explosions. I just think the last half second of smoke vanishing is a bit game-like.

2 Likes