Partikels UE4 Niagara Quicktips

Hey everyone! For a while I’ve been making super short Niagara tips. Mostly as a response to frequently asked questions on discord. I find it’s easier to show, rather than tell. At least over and over again :smiley:
Some of them are quite specifc, others are just gernerally nice things to know. Nothing revolutionary here. Just small nuggets of info that might help someone. I figured I’d collect them all in one thread for easy searchability.

First up is the latest upload: Weighted Random

16 Likes

Controling texture panning/scrolling speed over particle life.

5 Likes

Connectiong two joints with a beam

5 Likes

Rotating velocity aligned sprites, or controlling which side is “forward”.

5 Likes

Adding trails to parentparticles.

4 Likes

Randomly selecting a renderer per particle. For meshes this can be done with a mesh array since 4.27 but this method is still valid for sprites.

5 Likes

Figured I’d sneak this one in as well. It’s not a short quicktip, but an overview of how to get started with Grid2d. This already has a thread dedicated to it if you want to catch up on the discussion: Niagara Grid2d quickstart

Part 1:

Part 2:

4 Likes

These are easily the best and most straight to the point tutorials or guides out there for Niagara.

Niagara is still at a point where you can’t find a proper tutorial for something simple without having
to scroll through 30min of completely unrelated or unnecessary content.

Very much appreciate these tutorials, hope to see more in the future.

1 Like

Got an interesting question on discord so I decided to record my reply. It did get a bit more complex and a bit longer than I intend for the quicktips and should probably have been a regular tutorial, but I live and learn :slight_smile:
Sequential Force (First step towards a spline force)

6 Likes

Here’s a tip for the fishlovers out there! Check if a particle moves outside a boundary, then send it back. Works with any mathematically defined shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOjsPv8dPvM

4 Likes

You could use sticky collision to a ton of things, but yeah the first things that comes to mind is blood splatter, isn’t it.
But remember, you could use this as a way to distribute parent particles in the scene to use as emission points. Some pretty cool effects lie that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDrGRf55MP0

4 Likes

Another one! Fixing that pesky gap between the ribbon and the emitter. At least one way of doing it.

10 Likes

The UDK lensflare editor may be gone, but now we have Niagara which makes us more powerful than ever :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

This might be my best one yet. GOOGLY EYES!

6 Likes

A bit more serious this time. (A bit.)
Setting up an NPC to send the player position to Niagara for all kinds of fun shenanigans.

7 Likes

Partikel, you rock!
These quicktips are really helping me with experimentation and building more gameplay integrated effects.
The sequential forces + playerposition videos in special are giving me ideas on how to setup some cool homing projectiles without being constrained to the real projectile.

1 Like