Limeslushie: Sketch #27 Fire

Added some impacts and beams.
Made a new texture for the trails,
here’s my process for texturing trails:

1. Start with a general movement pattern.
  2. Fill it with shapes and make sure it tiles.
  3. Second layer of shapes.
    4/5. fill in with pen tool or lasso.

Next up I will add smoke.
Thanks for watching! :boom:

33 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing your art process! It’s really helpful

1 Like

As others have mentioned, thanks so much for sharing your process. I was wondering if you’d be willing to disclose more about your setup for the initial trails of fire. Their movement seems rather intricate and complex. Do you simply use several instances of bent and twisted geometry and then pan the flame along using a mask to make it seem like there’s some A>B motion?

1 Like

I’m glad you like it! :grin:
Yes, It’s one mesh rotated and scaled differently. Uv mapped half the UV Space

Then I animate this mask texture:
masktexture01
I use custom vertex streams to offset the UV of the mask, while panning the fire texture:

18 Likes

Just as I imagined, old tricks are the best tricks, thanks so much for sharing! The result is excellent! Looking forward to see your progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really nice effect ! Love the stylization and the rhythm so far !

1 Like

Added some smoke and a black trail.
I will call this done for now.
Thanks for watching! :smiley:

15 Likes

Can you share how you destroy the ground? I’m trying to do something similar as an environmental impact. I’ve created a destructible mesh in Blender, but not sure how to import it into UE4 properly, or how a material setup would look to modify in Cascade.

Unless this is all just a decal you made.

1 Like

Looks like there’s something more to it. Unless it’s compression from the gif, the first and second set of cracks looks like they are distorting the checker pattern down “inwards” toward the point of impact. I’m curious too :thinking:

I’d also like to know if you’ve gone the decal texture route for the cracked ground or if you have a mesh in there somewhere (aside from the mesh debris that bounces across the floor).

Btw, how are you achieving the low FPS feel (especially noticeable on the black smoke you recently included)? Are you staggering your texture scrolling via shader or is it just a low frame rate GIF?

1 Like

:star_struck::heart_eyes::star_struck:

I won’t have access to my computer for a week so I can’t show how it’s made. But what i did was:

1. Draw a crack texture with a few “depth” layers in mind.
  2. Add the texture to maya and start modeling in the cracks.
  3. Planar uv mapping from Y.
    4.In unity I animate the scale of this mesh. First it’s 0 scale (looks like a plane). Then i scale up Y during each impact to fake the depth.

To make the low fps I posterize time in the shader before scrolling textures. I used 12 steps I think.
I can show some wireframes etc later! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I see, so you’re actually not going below ground level, rather scaling the mesh upwards in Y to get a bit of a parallax effect.

Great job man!) :+1:

1 Like

These flames are eye candy man. I’m mesmerized. Awesome job making it feel so animated without a flipbook. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Here is a little breakdown of the crack mesh!

19 Likes

Super clever! I didn’t even consider your method as the solution

Did you form the Mesh/UV after the texture? Or how should I understand? :slight_smile:

oh damn, i assumed it was a flipbook and you changed frames on each impact. well done! :smiley:

1 Like

So what happens when you scale the crack mesh below Z=0? How do you avoid it clipping through the ground plane? :thinking: