Lightning vfx WIP

Think I’m going to have to call this done for now.

I made the main lightning arc wider, added some branching and re-added the pink beam just before the lightning strike. I think that the lightning it self is much clearer now and is less distracted by the pink beam. Also I think it helps with both color and anticipation.
I also made the smoke grow at a more steady rate.

Thanks again for all the great feedback everyone. :slight_smile:

35 Likes

It’s a great looking effect! Well done :slight_smile:

1 Like

It means a lot to hear that, Thank you!

Cool! It looks very elegant :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I lovedddddddddddddd it … superb timing <3

1 Like

Thank you @AntoVFX and @iNoob! I hope to make another VFX soon! Please drop by and bring all the feedback you can come up with when the time comes! :smiley:

1 Like

Very well done! I love using erosion maps. This is a fantastic demonstration of not only use-case but procedure and technique. Bravo!

1 Like

Thats very nice of you to say! Thank you! :slight_smile:

I really love the latest timing + composition! great effect mate!

1 Like

Thank you @Rufke! I’m really glad you liked it! I will try to get some more WIPs going as soon as I have time :slight_smile:

It is great to see these updates.I think it is good enough.So yeah,good job buddy

1 Like

Hey, I’m new to VFX and am trying to recreate your beautiful lightning strike effect, and was wondering how you were able to get the little zaps inside the smoke to appear and disappear in a way that feels very natural. I don’t seem to understand how you have such varied shapes in the sparks that appear inside the smoke

Thanks for any help and amazing effect.

1 Like

Hey Luke! I’m happy you like the effect, and welcome to Realtimevfx!

They’re meshes that have the shape of small arcs. They also have a texture on them, of course. Then take whatever measures you need to make them appear in a random order and at quite high speeds. Another thing that would help is to make sure that some get rendered behind the smokepuff, and some in front. You can do this by having multiple shared emitters placed either before or after the smoke emitter. (You can move emitter positions inside of cascade with the arrow keys)

3 Likes