Kris Wilkins - Sketch #14 WIP - Sword Trail

Hey All!

So this is my first ever attempt at entering a competition on here. I have never done a sword trail so thought it was the perfect one to get in on. Recently I have been playing ALOT of Ni No Kuni 2 and the effects are just absolutely stunning.

Therefore, I have put together this sword trail and tried to give it a stylised look. Used one of the Infinity Blade swords for this.

If anyone has any tips or tricks or just straight up critique of this it would be most welcome! I hope you like it :slight_smile:

(P.S. sorry for the janky recording… seems to only switch to 1080 quality half way through the vid, although that might just be for me)

3 Likes

nice!
Personally I’d make it more poppy. RIght now it feels more like a sword “wave”. Less like a slash. I think you could resolve that by having less keyframes in the middle of your arc, and really exaggerating the ease-in /out of the beginning/end of your animation

1 Like

Cheers!, thats a good shout, I’ll adjust the animation tomorrow :slight_smile:

Really nice work! Are you using a conventional ribbon or trail out of engine or a custom mesh for this? Looks fantastic!

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah just a bog standard ribbon trail for this one in UE4 (well 2 the refraction is on a second trail as I haven’t worked out how to get it in one trail yet :slight_smile: )