Introduce Yourself! A little about yourselves

Heyo everyone!

My name is Tobias Noller and i’ve been in the industry for around 7 years now. I come from an environment artist background and stumbled into vfx somehow.

In the past years i’ve worked as vfx artist at Daedalic in Germany, freelanced, created vfx packages for the Unity/Unreal stores and studied for my BA. I founded an Indie Studio ‘Lost Mountain’ in Jan 2016, in which i invested all my time, sweat and candy.
With the upcoming release of our first indie title on Xbox (‘Dashing Dinos’) I’ll draw a line and I will start as an FX Artist at Ninja Theroy in Cambridge.

This community is awesome, so many good discussions here, keep it coming! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey guys I’m Adam

I’ve been doing realtime VFX for around 3 years now with previous work in film and advertising, I feel really privileged to be part of this group and seeing all the great talent and resources on here.

Currently I’m working at Ubisoft Reflections, previous employment included working at Foundry 42 on Star Citizen with the incredibly talented VFX team there and at Tt games on the Lego titles.

I use maya, and fume fx learning Houdini now for most of my offline work, enginewise I have experience with a few proprietary ones and off the shelf such as cry engine, unity and a tiny bit of unreal.

Looking forward to learning from all the experience here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi there,

my name is Henning, before I started to work as a VFX Artist in 2011, I was a 3d generalist in games and advertising industry. Right now I enjoy to work at Deep Silver Fishlabs in Germany.

I am happy to be part of this community and that there is finally a place for “us” in this world :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey everyone,

My name is Stefan Jevremovic, I am from Serbia and its great to be here! I used to be hard-surface modeler for film and advertising before I came to gaming industry.
Now I work at Nordeus almost 3 years best known for the game TopEleven. But i am on brand new game called Spellsouls.com. I worked as 3D generalist until we hit production phase where i switched and work for a year now as VFX artist (doing spells and UI effects).

Must say its great to have a community like this and forum with so many amazing people. I guess some of you I will meet at GDC17. and the rest here.

Cheers,

5 Likes

Hey everyone! My name is Mark Khalil, i am a VFX artist on League of Legends. Thank you all for setting up this awesome site, and in helping this art forum grow!

8 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am a Sr. VFX artist and its great to be among the wonderful community. I have seen some wonderful work here and its a great place to learn and rock. My favorite games as far as effects are concerned are Eve Online, Overwatch, Legend Of Zelda and the recent Horizon Zero Dawn. Looking forward to contribute and learn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Zach. I haven’t worked much with VFX and I would really like to learn as much as I can. At the moment I am studying at Full Sail University. I look forward to contributing at some point and to learn of course.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Drakhas. I’m a Concept Artist, mainly working for video games.

I’m really new to VFX world, actually I never made a practical VFX before only designed a few of them. I want to learn more about this “magical” process. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

One thing to know about terminology @Drakhas is that “practical” vfx is used to mean “real life” vfx. Like a practical explosion would be an actual explosion. Not everyone here is aware of that since it is bequeathed to us from the film industry. I think you mean “practical” as in “used in game”, no?

2 Likes

ah Yes William I meant like "in use " thanks for pointing out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey, Business Cat here :smiley:

Does a lot of particle stuff in Source and have made an icon in my niche somehow. :stuck_out_tongue:
Hopefully I’ll be posting around soon.

3 Likes

Hi folks!

My name’s Kelly and I’ve been making video games since 2005, and doing real-time VFX work the past 4 years or so. My background is more concept art/animation so I feel I still have a lot to learn. Most recently I did VFX for the ‘Marvel Avengers Alliance’ series at Disney Interactive, using primarily Unity 3D. Looking forward to meeting more VFX peeps and learning some new tricks!

5 Likes

Aaaaaah! All my heroes are here ! :blush:

Anyway, I’m Niels Dewitte, I’m a game developement student at DAE belgium.
I’m mostly a programmer but slowly turning into technical artist :smiley:

I’m still really new to real time vfx so I hope I can learn a lot here.
And hopefully help lots of people aswell.

:smiley:

2 Likes

Hello RTVFXers,

It’s great to finally see a realtime VFX community! Kudos to the person/people who set this up!

My name is Brandon Luyen, and I’ve been making video games since the twilight PS1 days. I’m currently working on Labyrinth CCG, and am a multi-disciplined artist on the team but have been focusing mainly on realtime VFX for the majority of projects since 2005. I’m pretty much the only VFX person/department at our studio so it’s great to find this community!

It’s been real interesting to go through all the trends of constantly improving visual tech as it relates to game art and VFX work, from the console generations and PC, then back to low end mobile, and now slowly going back to more higher fidelity work.

Looking forward to seeing all the cool VFX and learning from the community!

Cheers!
B

5 Likes

Hi!

So. … Uh. I’m Mez. I like VFX…and stuff. A lot.
And that is how I made the best introduction ever.

;p

As much, AS MUCH, as I want to click reply and leave it like that on purpose, it probably would still be a good idea to introduce my self to some degree. So…I’m doin’ that now. … N-now

My birth name doesn’t matter. My love with all things VFX started with modding Halo 1 PC. I want to know all the things. I have an unquenchable hunger for knowledge. Even when it looks like I know what I am doing, I have no idea what I am doing. I like sleep every now and again, so what am I doing here? Is it weird that I’m talking to my self in my introduction? A little bit, but you mean well. “A little madness now and then…” .

One more thing. If you were at any of the GDC’17 VFX BOOTCAMPs, I was the stupid tall noob with the dumb hat, the dumb green vest, and the dumb-dam-grin on my face.

So yea. That.

5 Likes

Hi all, :smiley: I’m so happy to find this forum! Thanks GDC lol

I’m Vega Bai, currently a tech-art student in University of Utah. My favorite is writing shaders and making particle effects, and my favorite platform is Unreal Engine 4, and Houdini which I’m still getting more familiar with.

So many great things and I’m ready to start my journey here Yay ~ Feels so cool :laughing:

7 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Michael Small. I’m Lead Artist at Ninja Kiwi Europe, in charge of our team in the Dundee, Scotland office whilst also liaising with the Auckland, New Zealand office.

I was introduced to this site at GDC17 and I’m really looking forward to becoming active in this community, learning and hopefully sharing with you all. We’re currently starting a new, exciting, but unannounced project and will be using Unity engine for the first time rather than our own proprietary software. Any tips, pointers or similar will be much appreciated!

Cheers!

9 Likes

Hi! I’m Jamie DeRuyter. I’ve been a 3D generalist for 20 years. Much of that has been focused on creating effects and animation for special venue projects like theme park attractions. Recently I made the switch to real time and I’m never going back! :wink: @Keith My first real time project was remastering the Uncharted series for Bluepoint games. I’m currently creating all new effects for another major title at Bluepoint.

This is an amazing community of artists and I’m very excited to be a part of it. Thank you to everyone for making this forum happen!

6 Likes

Hi Troy,
I felt like I was digging around in your underwear drawer when I was remastering Uncharted 1. It’d be fun to chat about the challenges you faced while creating those effects. Sorry to say we replaced most of them when moving the game up to the PS4. @Keith might be interested to know that we repurposed some U2 effects and put them in U1. So, in essence, Keith worked on U1. Time to update your resume? :wink:

1 Like

Hi everyone! My name is Richard Chu and I am a Technical VFX artist at Riot Games working on new champions. Prior to this gig I worked on Diablo 3 & Reaper of Souls as a Technical Artist doing VFX, scripting, and tools. I look forward to learning from this community and helping it grow into a close-knit and friendly destination for VFXers!

See you guys around!

13 Likes