How would you do this ZZZ's electricity?

Hello, I saw this beautiful electricity effect from Zenless Zone Zero, and trying to duplicate it.
I tried to duplicate with texture noise scrolling to a mesh, multiplied with just (0,0,1)
it kinda works, but since it is not local space, it just moves to one direction.
Any suggestion to achieve this effect would be a lot helpful!

bellow is reference I am using

Yeah, their electricity looks great!

I think they might have actual mesh strips that they animate for this.
Seeing as this needs to work on mobile that would be a good way to keep overdraw low.

I see! Can I know how could I animate mesh and import in niagara? Sorry if that was a noob question😅

Easiest tends to be an alembic export. Niagara has a renderer specifically for it.

You could also animate it using the material with World Position Offset. Maybe add some texture offset + sine

You can also use Ribbon for geometry. Then render the lightning material on it.

1 Like

I have not touched Unity for very long so I can’t say for sure, but there is some possibility that it uses VAT to animate the lightning geometry. Technically the vertex offset animation/WPO can be handled with pure math in material, but that can get a bit fiddly.

What Jukerlaw said, in Unreal Niagara this is best handled by Ribbon Renderer. You can adjust the noise or orbital movements very easily.