How to go on about this unusual effect? (Unity)

Hello! Sorry I’m a total beginner and I couldn’t seem to find a fitting answer to this. I want to make a hover-effect in 2D for items etc. where an art deco border spawns in an animated way, where it follows the paths like this example:

Now I don’t know where to begin, I tried to make a Line Renderer, which has a Golden Shader and fades out to disappear, but it’s so janky. Alternatively I was thinking of making a path and having a Ribbon follow it? Anyone have an idea how to go on about this?
Thank you very much!

just a suggestion… I’m begginer. Dont curse me… just wondering if a movable background accting as a transparent controlled by time in shader graph… for each path as long a zoom effect with camera…

something like that.

good luck

A solution would be to have the shapes as meshes with specific UVs and clip the meshes along one axis of the UVs, here’s an example:

uv

The shader is set up as opaque with alpha clipping enabled, both Lit or Unlit should work.

You can see the mesh UVs here:

UVs

Setting the UVs correctly can be a bit of work, so maybe there’s a faster way to do it.

To set the value you should use Custom Vertex Streams in a particle system, this is explained in detail here:

1 Like

Setting the UVs correctly can be a bit of work, so maybe there’s a faster way to do it.

You can use a subdivided plane with the default UV’s and stretch it along a bezier curve using the “Curve” modifier.

1 Like