How do you think this FX is created?

Hey all! I came across this FX on Pinterest

I was wondering how you guys think this is created, or how you would create it? (and what programs you would use).
I’m a Unity user, and I haven’t done fluid stuff like this, but to me it looks like a ton of sprite sheets rendered out from a fluid sim or something. Are there better ways or other tricks to this??

5 Likes

In my opinion and eyes:
the fire from above looks like a clear pre simulated pyro → rendered to flipbook.
then you got the ground impact → circular emmiter that spawns particles (which rendered as pyro effect), the circle “grows”
*the ground emmiter is a common technic I think.
then the “first fire” the one that raises faster and higher could be a streached uv on a sphere so you get distortion when it raises then just fade away (my bet would be a shader).
the second fire Is the pyro sim from the circular emmiter.

hard to call it if the fire ball is not simulated as well :sweat:

1 Like

Different people, different views and methods, not even counting whats avaible in your engine’s tool and stuff! Still I would say there is not a single animated texture (Flipbook) in there. I see meshes, scrolling UV distortion texture. Painted single frame flames. Alpha treshold smoothstepping.

You could most likely get this whole FX using some particles for the little sparks, a single particle for the initial beam, and a mesh for the ground contact.Ground mesh and initial beam I’d be using the same shader, same distortion texture and atlas the different needs for the ring flames, beam flames and center piece frame. Use Particle life to time the animation for each section’s alpha treshold anims… as well as color (more orange at start, more red at end…) and probably distortion’s strenght as well.

Could probably be done with a 128^2 noise for distortion, and a 512^2 atlas for the rest. 30ish spark particles, 1 beam particle, and less than 256 verts Mesh.

Something like that >.>;

It would be interesting to see what would happen if we were to take a VFX like that and without being told how its made to have several of us take a spin at it and make a break down about it.

2 Likes

maybe you are right my eyes are not sharp yet to tell the difference so clear :stuck_out_tongue:
how ever,[quote=“Mederic, post:3, topic:892”]
It would be interesting to see what would happen if we were to take a VFX like that and without being told how its made to have several of us take a spin at it and make a break down about it
[/quote]

i might do it for my portfolio as a personal project since i already have on my list to do 1 explosion for the showreel :slight_smile:

I’d really like to know how the glowing ring of fire on the ground was made. It fades so perfectly into these flames…

1 Like

^^ this haha. yeah i wanted to see how people would go about making something like this one. it’s interesting to hear different paths

1 Like

This thing looks crazy smooth. Id be interested to see how to do some nice fades like this also. It looks super pretty

1 Like

my thoughts exactly! haha