Here's how to open Cracks, Fissures or Holes on the ground in Unity URP

VFX_GroundCrack_preview03_GIF

This is an awesome technique that uses a custom configuration of the stencil buffer to render holes on top of other 3d objects. Shame that Shader Graph cannot control the stencil buffer. Yet? Anyway, love it!

Here’s how it’s done:

33 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate all the time you took to put this together :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a really cool effect! awesome work

2 Likes

漂亮,这个可以的,学习学习。可以用到我最新的练习作品里

1 Like

Thanks Travis, appreciate the luv :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello. Thank you for sharing this helpful information!
I tried to do the same effect and ran into some difficulties.
Firstly, the whole floor object became translucent after adding it to the SeeThrow layer.
Secondly, in the Game tab, only a large spot light is displayed in the place where the crack is.
Can you suggest how to fix these problems?

Thanks!

Really awesome breakdown… wish I had seen this last week, I made a similar shader in UE4 and it was so much fun tripping over my own feet…LoL The biggest hurdle for me was that
I was effecting the ground more than the opening geo. live and learn I guess

1 Like

Glad it helped out, maybe it can give you some cool ideas for the next time. Sometimes trial and error is the best way to learn too.

1 Like

Definitely, what I have done so far is blockout and testing, the real work is in the project I am setting up for… last week was grabbing a cylinder in Maya, splitting the top cap from the body… inverting the body and then two days of scraping my knees in the UE4. I am primarily an Environment Artist but I love VFX too. This trick is going to help my with with movable craters and windows

1 Like

I feel you, now a days we gotta know “everything”, specially in the VFX field. It deals with a bit of every field (2D, 3D, code, shaders, black magic, audio, cooking) Guess the more we know the better! You get the idea :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am still working on my Dark Sorcery Skills, but the growth is true

1 Like